• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

MOD/Army Libary Service

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Just a quick question I’m after a reference book and its 240 squids
So to that end does the Army still have a library service and is the catalogue on the inter/intranet., and I assume it will be run by the education centre.

Many thanks

P_P

Percy_Pigeon said:
So to that end does the Army still have a library service and is the catalogue on the inter/intranet., and I assume it will be run by the education centre.

Many thanks

P_P
You can try but the library service, which used to be very good, was dismantled a while ago. The plan was that the MOD Library in Main Building would be the source of all such reference books.

I haven't used it since it was dismantled (in 2006?) so don't have a telephone number. You could try Enquiries on 192.

Litotes

I'm trying to get hold of some books through the Education Centre, I placed the order two weeks ago and am still waiting. I'll let you know how I get on if I don't die before they arrive.

Litotes said:
Percy_Pigeon said:

Many thanks

P_P
You can try but the library service, which used to be very good, was dismantled a while ago. The plan was that the MOD Library in Main Building would be the source of all such reference books.

I haven't used it since it was dismantled (in 2006?) so don't have a telephone number. You could try Enquiries on 192.

Litotes
That's because you can't read Lits, innit.

P_P, if you go onto the Intranet and search for "ALIS", that should be able to help you. Alternatively I could be REALLY NICE and find the linky for you in the real world, but I am never helpful or anything like that.

Slugster xx

Percy_Pigeon said:

Many thanks

P_P
Which book?

msr

Am I alone in finding that the new-look Army Net ALIS site doesn't actually work? I can't search the catalogue or get to any of the online journal pages. Anyone else?

I searched for documents (from hard copy journals) on ALIS and when I found them, sent an email and had said articles arrive in the post in a few days. When I joined, I spoke to a lady there who couldn't have been more helpful. Have used it only about 3 times, but found it great. Can't believe I hadn't used it before.

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Cheers Guys many thanks for the information, sorry for not posting early but I’ve been snowed under (Queue laugher and derision).

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
devexwarrior said:
Your local public library - assuming you are in UK- might be able to help
Unfortunately the local library service let me down and the copy they did have was circa 1968 so no good. They were willing to do a national search and get if for me within 4 weeks, but I thought I would try the military system first.

And they found a new copy in Gibraltar and have ordered it for me. :D :eek:

P_P

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
msr said:
Percy_Pigeon said:

Many thanks

P_P
Which book?

msr
Fly Fishing
By J R Hartley
:D

Latest Threads