MOD/Army Libary Service

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Percy_Pigeon, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

Just a quick question I’m after a reference book and its 240 squids
    So to that end does the Army still have a library service and is the catalogue on the inter/intranet., and I assume it will be run by the education centre.

Many thanks

P_P

2. You can try but the library service, which used to be very good, was dismantled a while ago. The plan was that the MOD Library in Main Building would be the source of all such reference books.

I haven't used it since it was dismantled (in 2006?) so don't have a telephone number. You could try Enquiries on 192.

Litotes

3. I'm trying to get hold of some books through the Education Centre, I placed the order two weeks ago and am still waiting. I'll let you know how I get on if I don't die before they arrive.

4. That's because you can't read Lits, innit.

P_P, if you go onto the Intranet and search for "ALIS", that should be able to help you. Alternatively I could be REALLY NICE and find the linky for you in the real world, but I am never helpful or anything like that.

Slugster xx

5. msr

msr LE

Which book?

msr

6. Am I alone in finding that the new-look Army Net ALIS site doesn't actually work? I can't search the catalogue or get to any of the online journal pages. Anyone else?

7. I searched for documents (from hard copy journals) on ALIS and when I found them, sent an email and had said articles arrive in the post in a few days. When I joined, I spoke to a lady there who couldn't have been more helpful. Have used it only about 3 times, but found it great. Can't believe I hadn't used it before.

8. Percy_Pigeon

Cheers Guys many thanks for the information, sorry for not posting early but I’ve been snowed under (Queue laugher and derision).

9. Your local public library - assuming you are in UK- might be able to help

10. Percy_Pigeon

Unfortunately the local library service let me down and the copy they did have was circa 1968 so no good. They were willing to do a national search and get if for me within 4 weeks, but I thought I would try the military system first.

And they found a new copy in Gibraltar and have ordered it for me. :D :eek:

P_P

11. Percy_Pigeon

Fly Fishing
    By J R Hartley
    :D