MOD Announce Additional Gurkha Inf Bn

Presume you mean recruits to the SIB ?

I haven’t even met a Gurkha before hence the question
Then I apologise for my tone, quite a lot of rot talked in here. Baby Gurkhas pass the same standards, may actually be slightly higher, as UK recruits. Brigade units, including the RGR work in English and have done for years - its the only way they could possibly operate in the modern Army. They also pass Pulheems prior to leaving Nepal, are only selected by serving UKTap offiers (not gallah wallahs, not the GM, not the PTIs etc etc). They have a 100% pass rate from ITC with roughly 50% achieving marksman, draw your conclusion from that on input quality as you will. The Army/Bde website has lots of information if interested. Brigade of Gurkhas

Then I apologise for my tone, quite a lot of rot talked in here. Baby Gurkhas pass the same standards, may actually be slightly higher, as UK recruits. Brigade units, including the RGR work in English and have done for years - its the only way they could possibly operate in the modern Army. They also pass Pulheems prior to leaving Nepal, are only selected by serving UKTap offiers (not gallah wallahs, not the GM, not the PTIs etc etc). They have a 100% pass rate from ITC with roughly 50% achieving marksman, draw your conclusion from that on input quality as you will. The Army/Bde website has lots of information if interested. Brigade of Gurkhas
You don’t see companies in the UK helping (and fleecing) potential recruits to pass selection either, because it’s easy and people aren’t fussed about joining.

You don’t see companies in the UK helping (and fleecing) potential recruits to pass selection either, because it’s easy and people aren’t fussed about joining.
Interestingly I understand that there is a growing industry in the UK that charges potential soldiers to assist them through Army selection, for AOSB and soldier entry - though I couldn't name one, google might be able to.

What I don't get is that a keen as mustard lad from <insert any town in these green and pleasant lands> who in virtually every aspect would be a perfect recruit to mould into a soldier gets binned before the process even starts, because he may or may not have had a cough when he was a five year old, yet Johnny Gurkha from the foothills of Everest or the slums of Kathmandu who has never seen a doctor from the day he is born till the day he turns up at some remote Gurkha recruiting tent out in the uloo can make it into the British non-English speaking Army. I accept that the physical tests they have to perform to whittle the numbers down may be pretty severe, but a young british lad with a 20 year old biff chit never even gets that opportunity to show that he is now fit to serve.
A significant reason that gurkha selection takes so long is because of the medical screening.
The attached document covers what they look for and highlights they are aware of an ever present risk of fraud.
Recruit Registration

Bear in mind, even if the annual amount of recruits has been lifted to 400 (for first time since 1980s), there are a significant number who don't make the grade.
i.e in 2018, 10,000 applied for 320 places Gurkha recruitment 2018

Depending where you measure the applicants from (regional selection or gala-wallah selection) there could be a couple of thousand more applying that don't even get seen by the first medical sift.

Attachments

I’m not too sure what you’re pissed about, would banning stable belts all together make it better? Where does the argument stop?
It's stops when soldiers are stopped being forced to pay for shit. Whether it's an outright threat or an Sjar moment like your insinuation earlier that they are not team players.
I've used this example before, when I was on Herrick 8, the paras set up a stall in Bastion cookhouse selling everything Maroon, it was like a jumble sale full of old women grabbing everything they could, the stall sold out in the time it took me to have my dinner. Despite paras being gay and not being able to fight they really do have pride in what they are, they dont need to be forced to buy shit, contrast that to yours (and my) corps where officers ignore the fact their soldiers are being robbed in an effort to pretend it's corps pride to wear whatever overpriced shite it is that they are forcing the boys to buy.
I'm not pissed at anything other than my lads occasionally getting fucked over by our supposed leaders. But let's just ignore it (and other pisspoor managment issues) and hire people trying to escape from poverty halfway around the world.

ugly

LE
Tour t shirts are my favourite.
My first Op Banner was issued to me. However it seems I had already paid foor it! Hmm, anyway I didn't wear on the tour, it wasn't good quality and wouldn't have lasted under an Iniba.
I wore a handful of plain green naafi t shirts at about 5 marks each. These outlasted the tout t shirts.
roll forward a year or two and Bn is going to the Falklands. Sign the acro for two tour sweatshirts. No way.
Sign or you wont be n the company photo. No way. Sign or you will be on jankers for four months. I signed and cut the sleeves off in front of the Pln Sgt.
I was stuck in the baggage detail for the trip, the tour photo? That was in windproofs in front of a green food blender and no one could see who was who!
I had the stable belt and black No 2 belt from Juniors. Bought rifle green puttees about three months before we were issued BCH. I wasn't in the mood for another rip off!
Needless to say I was posted out into Sp Coy on return from my shitty falklands tour!

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
once the show trials of ex Ulster troops start the forces are going to see a tumble in UK recruits,being stabbed in the back by your own side in your retirement is not a great incentive to join up

The RLC used to force their soldiers to buu the old one, the new "free" ones are paid for by the soldiers.out of the corps subs that they are forced to pay. More theft just a different way of doing it.
Fair one. Sneaky!

And when did you pass through Blandford?
2011. But in my office I’ve got colleagues who passed through blandford as phase 2’s relatively recently who still had to buy their stable belts (+TRFs + Corp rank slides - wouldn’t want to be incorrectly dressed now would we?)

Tour t shirts are my favourite.
My first Op Banner was issued to me. However it seems I had already paid foor it! Hmm, anyway I didn't wear on the tour, it wasn't good quality and wouldn't have lasted under an Iniba.
I wore a handful of plain green naafi t shirts at about 5 marks each. These outlasted the tout t shirts.
roll forward a year or two and Bn is going to the Falklands. Sign the acro for two tour sweatshirts. No way.
Sign or you wont be n the company photo. No way. Sign or you will be on jankers for four months. I signed and cut the sleeves off in front of the Pln Sgt.
I was stuck in the baggage detail for the trip, the tour photo? That was in windproofs in front of a green food blender and no one could see who was who!
I had the stable belt and black No 2 belt from Juniors. Bought rifle green puttees about three months before we were issued BCH. I wasn't in the mood for another rip off!
Needless to say I was posted out into Sp Coy on return from my shitty falklands tour!
You don't sound like much of a team player.

Or we could try improving conditions in the Army so more Brits join/stay rather than bribe poor foreigners with zero loyalty to the UK.
But . . . we (should) have been doing that for hundreds of years, and retention is still bloody awful :( .

You don't sound like much of a team player.
Oddly enough my testimonial says otherwise, perhaps being still pissed that morning didnt help. I wouldn't mind but none of the tour shirts lasted 5 minutes of use.
Maybe I am too practical?

Latest Threads