MOD Announce Additional Gurkha Inf Bn

What I don't get is that a keen as mustard lad from <insert any town in these green and pleasant lands> who in virtually every aspect would be a perfect recruit to mould into a soldier gets binned before the process even starts, because he may or may not have had a cough when he was a five year old, yet Johnny Gurkha from the foothills of Everest or the slums of Kathmandu who has never seen a doctor from the day he is born till the day he turns up at some remote Gurkha recruiting tent out in the uloo can make it into the British non-English speaking Army. I accept that the physical tests they have to perform to whittle the numbers down may be pretty severe, but a young british lad with a 20 year old biff chit never even gets that opportunity to show that he is now fit to serve.

Eh, there’s nothing you can do about incidents like that, because we employ people that are thick as **** and we always will.
That just yet another excuse for not doing anything.

Up to a point - plenty of all 3 in the RN. Largely because of the kit and the deployments, i.e. the offer, rather than the wages.

Sample quote from my duty Canadian serving in the RN when asked why he wasn't in the RCN - "have you seen the RCN?"

But for soldiering, especially given Afghan in recent years, if you're Canuck/Aussie/Kiwi and want a scrap, why wouldn't you just join your local mob?
I agree with Stacker’s point that TACOS are probably better in the Dominions, but when it comes to good (big) kit and getting to use it, HM Forces take a lot of beating, which is why there’s still quite few in the RAF and RN; I’ve encounter the occasional Kiwi Bob and Digger Dave lurking about, too, who strangely don’t have surnames. And a few Fijians, of course.

Who’s not doing anything? In fact I’ll concede one point, we don’t do any management training.
Do we really need training to be told it's wrong to steal from our subordinates?

No, you’re talking about the actions of an individual not a systematic failure. And there’s **** all you can do before the fact, only punish afterwards ie not the Army’s failing and a shit example.
Every few months in the soldier mag someone will write in complaining they have to be part of the cpls mess, pay for their belts/badges/t shirts or pay into sqn/regt/corps subs under various threats.
What makes it worse is some fuckwit officer will answer back with something along the lines of, "yes it's wrong but you have to take it up with your CoC"
So no it's not an individual failure it's right across the army at all levels. Yet **** all ever get done about it (possibly because people want to pretend it's just the occasional individual)

Every few months in the soldier mag someone will write in complaining they have to be part of the cpls mess, pay for their belts/badges/t shirts or pay into sqn/regt/corps subs under various threats.
What makes it worse is some fuckwit officer will answer back with something along the lines of, "yes it's wrong but you have to take it up with your CoC"
So no it's not an individual failure it's right across the army at all levels. Yet **** all ever get done about it (possibly because people want to pretend it's just the occasional individual)
I recently attended a networking event for leaving officers. There was a brainstorming session on transferable skills, and one of the first items was leadership and management (often seen as synonymous in the army, whereas they are separate functions). However I have seen some absolutely dreadful examples of military leadership in the civilian environment which under normal circumstances would lead to employment tribunals and censure. Like swearing in the workplace. Military personnel can get away with that within their bn/ship/sqn but it is increasingly unacceptable in most civilian work places.

I recently attended a networking event for leaving officers. There was a brainstorming session on transferable skills, and one of the first items was leadership and management (often seen as synonymous in the army, whereas they are separate functions). However I have seen some absolutely dreadful examples of military leadership in the civilian environment which under normal circumstances would lead to employment tribunals and censure. Like swearing in the workplace. Military personnel can get away with that within their bn/ship/sqn but it is increasingly unacceptable in most civilian work places.
I'd just tell the civvie cnuts to stop ******* whining.

How many people write to say they enjoy the Cpls' Mess? About the same amount that write in to say they enjoyed there Tp BBQ/trip out/promotion drinks ie none. So a few letters to Soldier Magazine doesn't correlate to an Army wide failure does it?

How many people write to say they enjoy the Cpls' Mess? About the same amount that write in to say they enjoyed there Tp BBQ/trip out/promotion drinks ie none. So a few letters to Soldier Magazine doesn't correlate to an Army wide failure does it?
Who gives a **** if they write in or not, plenty of people write in telling senior officers that their CoC is stealing from them and they just get chin off.
A example being most Corps forcing their soldiers to buy belts if that enough literally 1000s of soldiers for you?

Latest Threads