MOD Announce Additional Gurkha Inf Bn

Announcement from MOD today, is this an admission that even though funding is in place for an additional Inf Bn it could not be recruited from within UK? Must be some old Colonels choking over their port tonight that some long disbanded County Regt is not being brought back to life. My opinion, if Corbyn gets to park his bike outside No 10 are not the Gurks finished anyhow?

New Gurkha battalion to be established as brigade grows

Announcement from MOD today, is this an admission that even though funding is in place for an additional Inf Bn it could not be recruited from within UK? Must be some old Colonels choking over their port tonight that some long disbanded County Regt is not being brought back to life. My opinion, if Corbyn gets to park his bike outside No 10 are not the Gurks finished anyhow?

St Joanna of Lumley will be beside herself.

ugly

LE
Well there is huge waste of taxpayers cash, beyond their sell by date by many years, getting rid of all of them would save loads and meet the new manning requirements of three generals and one driver

Well there is huge waste of taxpayers cash, beyond their sell by date by many years, getting rid of all of them would save loads and meet the new manning requirements of three generals and one driver
3 generals, 3 drivers and associated staff.

If Comrade Cob gets into No.10, the whole Army will be pretty much finished.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
They made a shit load of Ghurkas redundant not so long ago. I wonder why they can't recruit......

well that'll be another town flooded with their dependents in the future.
do we really need more ghurkas?

You can never have enough scary little buggers.

We are struggling to recruit now so there isn't much point in having another battalion of brits. I can't remember the exact figures but there is somewhere in the region of 20000+ Nepalese going for 250 or so places a year in the Gurkhas every year.
It might have something to do with the fact minimum wage in Nepal is about 2 quid a day.
It's a good way for the British Army to claim recruiting/manning figures are getting better though.

To be honest with all the poor recruiting stories in the media, I'm surprised this has not been done before. Having served with them for around 7 years there are good ones and bad ones. They are not the supersoldiers everyone goes on about. A lot of deficiencies they have are kept deep in-house put it this way.

Personally,having worked with Johnny Gurkha on exercises and ops,I don't mind how many settle in Britain.They have more right to be here than some random Polish plumber.
They do indeed.
But I will back any Polish plumber being here here before any Lat/ Lit/ Estonian.
And a whole pile of other Nations as well.

Including some Commonwealth nations.

Personally,having worked with Johnny Gurkha on exercises and ops,I don't mind how many settle in Britain.They have more right to be here than some random Polish plumber.
Poles fought well with and for us during the last great unfortunate European misunderstanding, then were sold down the river same as the Czechs (who fought with us also). Both are allies again with no love of the Commies.

Since 3 RGR is going to be an SIB, its not such a bad thing considering the battalion should only be made up of approx 270 soldiers. They’re not going to make a guards SIB anytime soon it seems, so why not leave the role to the Gurkhas and not gut any other battalions so they fit the smaller manning requirements.

Latest Threads