MoD accused of wasting millions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jul 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MoD accused of wasting millions

The MoD's £36bn budget is under growing scrutiny
    The Ministry of Defence has been accused of wasting millions of pounds by government auditors.
    The National Audit Office said £155m of spending on radio systems used in Afghanistan could not be accounted for.
    It also said its payroll system was inefficient and open to fraud, leading one senior Conservative MP to say the department must "get a grip".
    Officials said that while central tracking of equipment was difficult it did not mean any items were missing.
    With the debate over military equipment raging after the sharp increase in British deaths in Afghanistan, the BBC's political correspondent Jo Coburn said the criticism was damaging.
    More on the link
  2. The MoD wasting money? Whatever next?
  3. OUR payroll system is open to fraud? Methinks people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :?
  4. Payroll system inefficient eh? That's what comes of contracting out all our services to the private sector...
  5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I wonder if they looked on EBay?
  6. Sounds more like deflection of attention away from the Government, in the vain hope that the press will target the MOD instead.
    I'd guess some minor party appartachik thought it might deflect criticism away from Cyclops and Ainsworthless, muddy up the waters a little.

Or am I just a little too cynical? and this is a genuine cause , worthy of print and air time?

Thought not.
  7. At a time when the Army is suffering for the want of equipment and seeing realtime budget cuts then it is paramount that the MoD accounts for every penny and ensures that it is spent where most needed. There is no point in giving the Government any excuse not to allocate more funding to troops in Afghanistan and anyway it holds as a matter of principle, if you're going to ask for more then you have to show that you've spent what you already have wisely.
    The boys at the sharp end deserve nothing less than the MoD ensures that every penny entrusted to it is spent in such a way as to be of most benefit to the Services. However, given the present Government and there obsession with spin and subterfuge I'm hardly surprised that money is wasted in every single department, get rid of the spin machine and you'd probably save several millions of tax payers' money.
  8. Thats what you get for sending them out plated with the wrong NSN's with no audit trail 8O
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Breaking News!

The Houses of Parliament are accused of waisting £1 Trillion of taxpayers money, 100 billion of which is lost to dole bludgers, many of whom might not be there but for the mismanagement of the economy. A further £20 million has been lost to MPs engaged in fraudulent claims in the last 12 years.
  10. I think I know where a s*** load of these radios are. I remember a large consignment bought under UOR and delivered a week before deployment.

They were chucked in a corner unopened because the UOR hadn't bothered with such irrelevancies as spares, training, AESPs, batteries, chargers, aerials, installation kits and the rest. The IPT was at Andover.
  11. Couldn't be down to the fact that General Dynamics dumped the kit on units without accounting for it during the initial roll out?? Just a thought.
  12. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

13. We are doing what they want here
    Getting pulled down by meaningless trivia.
    This is all a deflection away from the govts. inept handling of this conflict
  14. Of course it is, just more spin in an attempt to draw fire away from the real issues.

The fact that they have presided over the systemic failings that have led to Hundreds of Billions being wasted makes the MOD losses seem chicken feed.
  15. JPA a waste of money and not fiddle-proof??? At least with the RAPC, you (generally) got what you were entitled to.

Ho hum, all a cynical ploy by Broon and his cronies to deflect criticism away from their many failings.