MoD accused of sending students on taxpayer funded 'jollies'

"... after spending £700,000"! ... According to the Telegraph!

Dear Colonel (Retired) Richard Kemp, "former Commander of British Forces Afganistan" has complained that MOD spent £700,000 on funding overseas AT trips for OTCs, and that the money should be better spent elsewhere..

As one commentator points out, compared with the millions spent by Capita in the non recruitment of reserves, this is a literal drop in the ocean... and considering the percentage of officers that come through the OTCs, money well spent!

Kemp in his ten years since leaving the military, seems to be well on his way to setting himself up as as a talking head, although I suspect much of his Wikipedia entry can be taken with more than a pinch of snuff.. (other organic substances available...!)

I do wish he would stfu....!

One of my college students joined the TA. As REME they went to Canada as part of another unit. She didn't have a job so spent the two week on AT, she thought it was money very well spent.

So student Officer Cadets go on adventurous training trips - get drunk in bars, experience high jinks, take 'entertaining' photos

Sounds like a good recruiting tool and introduction to life as an officer in the British army

" although I suspect much of his Wikipedia entry can be taken with more than a pinch of snuff.. (other organic substances available...!)
Worked with him in 95-97ish.

His wiki bio looks ok.

I worked with another Col, finished a brigadier, who started as a rifleman. RGJ as was.

So student Officer Cadets go on adventurous training trips - get drunk in bars, experience high jinks, take 'entertaining' photos

Sounds like a good recruiting tool and introduction to life as an officer in the British army
A better recruiting message than Crapita can manage.

One of my college students joined the TA. As REME they went to Canada as part of another unit. She didn't have a job so spent the two week on AT, she thought it was money very well spent.
That's the sensible way to do it. Minimum costs as there's already an adventure training centre set up at trails end camp. The more people use it the more value for money it provides.

FFS we are talking about £700k that is fcuk all compared with what the MOD/Army can do if it really sets it mind to it! For example Voyager tanker aircraft that can't ..... or two new aircraft carriers that don't ...... and ........

He is a bit like the police experts you get on the media following any big incident.knows a little about everything but it's so out of date it's on parchment
Fairly harmless in the media, but deeply unpleasant on Twitter - all his opinions we already know about, but unfiltered so you get the addition of spectacularly virulent Zionism and "if you don't agree with me you're an anti-Semite". If he was anything like that while he was in, he must have been hell to work for.

I heard that the army is getting very short of officers. Is that true?

I have a relative in the UOTC and he never seems to do anything that isn't OTC related. Foreign trips. Sandhurst. Swinging from ropes. The army is definitely trying to impress him and his colleagues to seduce him away from a glass walled office in the City to a mud walled trench in the North of England.

I hear that UOTC students can also do some sort of expedited, four day P-company and return to university with a red beret. I know an old boy who was a paratrooper in the 60s. That news nearly finished him off.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
OTC just like URNU are great awareness, recruiting and training tools for relatively small outlay. You do get pull through into regular/reserve careers as well as building a section of society more in touch with the military.

I agree that where AT is concerned we should be rationaling and maximising use of existing MoD assets. Heavens forbid we loaded regulars, reserves and OTC/URNU together.

Fairly harmless in the media, but deeply unpleasant on Twitter - all his opinions we already know about, but unfiltered so you get the addition of spectacularly virulent Zionism and "if you don't agree with me you're an anti-Semite". If he was anything like that while he was in, he must have been hell to work for.
Totally agree re twitter - i think his twitter feed is pretty awful to be honest.

I agree that where AT is concerned we should be rationaling and maximising use of existing MoD assets. Heavens forbid we loaded regulars, reserves and OTC/URNU together.
JSPC(W) for me, a sunny two weeks in 1986 as an OCdt jumping out of planes on my Basic Sport Para course. Huge fun, and one of the things that convinced me to put nearly two decades of work into the reserves.

Reservists, two of us from UOTC (both of us went on to commission, her as a Regular), a Wren, random regulars, and even a real Para. I may have mentioned it before...

OTC Skills and Drills

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I recently read Taking Command by General Richards (him of ex-CDS fame), and he mentions a British Colonel in Helmand who was "not up to the job". Richards was head honcho in Afghan around 2006, so i wonder what colonel was being referred to...

Latest Threads