Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MOD 90s for UOTC

SPSnoMore

Old-Salt
Chalky said:
amazing__lobster said:
(although I think I heard at an exec meeting that we have to pay for those next year!!!)

Yep. About £10 I think. God bless Sam Rozati, nemesis of the NUS for exposing that heinous bitch Kat Fletcher.

Ask at any retailers for a student discount, many will ask to see ID, uni' ID will work.

The National Union of Students (NUS) has negotiated discounts with national companies and they expect to see a NUS card.

It is indeed £10 for a NUS Extra card. Worth every penny as one discount can be in excess of a £10. I've had one since 2001 and wouldn't be without one. One day I'll no longer be entitled unless I do a course that attracts student status.

Get one. Save a packet on nights out - downside is you have to go the bar for your mates who do not have a yellow card (different to NUS card, local bars recognise these, costs £2 but gets pints for £1 for the whole year).

scuba_frog

War Hero
the_crimp_off said:
You're all civvies for fcuks sake so you don't need them. You don't even need a chit in lieu as you are (surprise, surprise) civvies. Rock up at the guardroom and show them your student uni cards and explain you are are gopping civvies on a freebie jaunt to subsidise your civvy student lifestyle.

Do I detect a hint of bitterness from someone who failed to get into uni himself and therefore resents all those whose career aspirations transcend wearing polyester trousers, short-sleeved shirts and piss-stained Primark shoes or am I being slightly cynical?

scuba_frog said:
the_crimp_off said:
You're all civvies for fcuks sake so you don't need them. You don't even need a chit in lieu as you are (surprise, surprise) civvies. Rock up at the guardroom and show them your student uni cards and explain you are are gopping civvies on a freebie jaunt to subsidise your civvy student lifestyle.

Do I detect a hint of bitterness from someone who failed to get into uni himself and therefore resents all those whose career aspirations transcend wearing polyester trousers, short-sleeved shirts and piss-stained Primark shoes or am I being slightly cynical?

You're being slightly cynical as the poster joined the army at 16, became a paratrooper, is still serving after 20+ yrs and, like most of us soldiers, detests student's, civvies and foreigners.

scuba_frog

War Hero
Fcuking hell 5A - where did you pop up from, only posted 5 mins ago!! Oops.......slinks away to change more bedpans!! I can get the gist of the thread, when I was at Uni the UOTC really did tend to elevate themsleves above other mere mortals yet very few seemed to go on to join, it was a bit of a jolly really. For those of us doing proper degrees, and not surf board desgin or gold course fcuking managment, we really didn't have time for that sort of stuff.

Cynicism turned off.

ub2008

Old-Salt
Whatley, what I said was based on my observations. I think the fact that the UOTCs are now becoming more selective will only do them good. The no MOD90 thing is probably due to the fact that around half of their intake each year drops out. I think that the guys/girls who do stay on and do mods 2 and 3 should be given one, as theyve shown their commitment by sticking the first year out. One of my good mates is in the URNU, and one of the first things she got given (along with her uniform) was her MOD90.

sundance

War Hero
ytomk said:
No. All members of Gp A TA units are supposed to carry MOD 90 at all times. Apparently...

Fcuk that! Living in NI I only carry mine when I know Ill need it for access to military establishments. They havent gone away you now.

Irish_Cream

Old-Salt
sundance said:
ytomk said:
No. All members of Gp A TA units are supposed to carry MOD 90 at all times. Apparently...

Fcuk that! Living in NI I only carry mine when I know Ill need it for access to military establishments. They havent gone away you now.

Carried at all times, whilst on duty.

19jw89

Swinger
ub2008 said:
Whatley, what I said was based on my observations. I think the fact that the UOTCs are now becoming more selective will only do them good. The no MOD90 thing is probably due to the fact that around half of their intake each year drops out. I think that the guys/girls who do stay on and do mods 2 and 3 should be given one, as theyve shown their commitment by sticking the first year out. One of my good mates is in the URNU, and one of the first things she got given (along with her uniform) was her MOD90.

Agreed - I'm just finishing up my UOTC commitments, after three years of hard work and good fun. When I first started, there were something in the region of 120 'officer cadets'. Now, there are less than 30 of us, and almost all those who departed, and were forgotten, went inside the first six months.

I do disagree on giving MOD 90's to us, however. From a personal perspective, a chit in lieu is more than adequate for anything you do in the UOTC, UAS or URNU - after all, a student card or a driving licence proves your identity, and it doesn't take a mong to put two and two together and figure that if both bits of ID (chit/licence) say the same, you are that person.

19jw89 said:
ub2008 said:

Agreed - I'm just finishing up my UOTC commitments, after three years of hard work and good fun. When I first started, there were something in the region of 120 'officer cadets'. Now, there are less than 30 of us, and almost all those who departed, and were forgotten, went inside the first six months.

I do disagree on giving MOD 90's to us, however. From a personal perspective, a chit in lieu is more than adequate for anything you do in the UOTC, UAS or URNU - after all, a student card or a driving licence proves your identity, and it doesn't take a mong to put two and two together and figure that if both bits of ID (chit/licence) say the same, you are that person.

exactly.

it's nothing to do with if people leave or not.

it is simply due to the fact that IF SOMEBODY DOES NOT NEED SOMETHING, YOU DO NOT ISSUE IT TO THEM.

that's why when you go to Afghanistan you are not issued with skis.

especially when it comes to items of a secure nature, there is absolutely no requirement to issue things that aren't needed. to get into your OTC building you simply tell them who you are on the intercom. anywhere you go at weekends, you go with people who DO have MOD90s and thus can get you in.

the MOD know full well the UOTC only want them to wave in burger king and try and get free travel - when you're not entitled to either. Once the UOTC regularly partake in activites that require individuals to gain regular access to military establishments without accompaniment, MOD90s will be issued to save the hassle. Whilst once a year you might have to pop in the local garrison for a health check, chit in leau's are simpler, more secure and really have no problem.

I don't have any issues as such with the OTC getting MOD90s, I just have issues in general with people being issued things that they don't need, especially when said articles could compromise security.

If you're going to be going to a military camp ask for a chit in lieu from your psi, or the RAO/chief clarke/admin - whoever likes playing with that type of thing at your unit. Letting a whole load of overly keen OCdts and WOCdts loose with MOD90s would be asking for trouble, hence why they don't do it. Oh and once they've told all their friends how they play soldier, shown them their mod90s, lost them on some student urine-up they'll leave because it's cold and they don't want to play anymore - wasted effort.

On the otherhand if it was set that noone receives a MOD90 until completion of MTQ2 and at least one year, and only if they're going away on courses/attachments that would make more sense as you'd *hope* they're more trustworthy and more likely to stay on.
As a member of the OTC I can categorically confirm that the only reason OCdts want a MOD90 is to show it off to their mates, this is part of how we play soldier.

Holy thread revival batman! etc etc etc

Latest Threads