Moblie Phone Problem

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Jacques_Bustard, Apr 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would appreciate any advice regarding a mobile phone reception problem. I am required to be on-call for a hospital and have been given a mobile phone for this. According to Orange I live in an area of good coverage but local reception in and around my house is very poor. This means I miss calls and messages and therefore have to divert the mobile to my land line. This is a pain because I sometimes forget to do it, its difficult to do (takes 3-4 attempts) but above all it costs me money as outgoing calls are made at my expense. I've fitted a mobile phone "booster" (see link below) and despite my initial scepticism it does improve the signal but unfortunately not enough to be able to rely on the mobile at home.

Is there anything else that might help? Are there aerials that can be fitted at home and the mobile plugged into? I appreciate this might sound like a bone question and no its not a WAH, I know very little about how mobiles work and just want to make my on-calls a little easier.

Thanks
    JB

http://www.mobileboosters.co.uk/index.php#mobileboosters

2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Simple solution to the Problem: Vodafone

If you are tied to a contract you can usually negotiate with the network if you can't use it in a certain postcode, more often than not, if its purely coverage they will release you from it.

With orange and T mobile I used to find that if a property had very thick walls, ie, a converted barn / farmhouse it was easier to make calls with a toblerone.

I've found over the years, although Vodafone is a little more expensive, the network is by far the best.

3. hi, one thing that might be worth a try is, if your phone has an external antenna socket then you could, depending on your geek level :), modify an existing car kit with external antenna to run of the mains or failing that your pc (nice 12volts there) and move the antenna around till you get a good signal, i would try an up stairs window. You could then put the base unit (cradle) as the wire is just normal coax. The only thing you might need to check is that the car kit has a built in booster but i have yet to buy one that hasnt.

it may be overkill or just underkill but it is some thing i would try. anyway hope that helps.

I_G

4. Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I cannot change the phone or the network provider as these are provided by my employer. I'll try the car kit and see if that works. My geek level is low but my brother has geek levels that are off the scale so I'll tap him for help if I get stuck.
    Friends? who needs friends when you've got ARRSE

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The passive boosters are a load of crap. If you can't change providers then external antenne is the way ahead. Problem you have is Orange and T Mobile both use the 1800 mhz freq range which has less penetration power than the 900 mhz used by Vodafone and O2.

Try calling up and making a complaint and engineer will then take a look at the problem and maybe able to optimise your serving cell to make it a bit better.

Of course the easy answer would be to put your home number on the same list as the mobile and if they cant get you on the mobile try your home phone.

6. At risk of oversimplification, if you are making genuine service calls on your own phone, take the itemised bill, with those calls highlighted, to your RAO. They will reimburse you, like any other claim.

7. Is correct. Any business related calls that I make on my personal phone are reimbursable, as should yours be.

8. msr

msr LE

If you are required to be on call, isn't it the responsibility of your employers to ensure that you have correctly working equipment?

msr

9. The job should provide you with adequate comms, if not you are (in their eyes) not worthy of contacting...

10. As an alternative, ever thought about asking for a pager instead? Their coverage is usually OK, and the message easily understood.

11. Much ado about nothing.