Mobility Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by DannyFishcharge, Dec 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought I would ask for peoples thoughts on here, test the water so to speak.
    I'm looking into the possibility of supplying mobility motorcycles (trikes) in the UK. These machines are unique in the fact that they can be operated by wheelchair users without leaving a wheelchair. A hydraulic ramp at the rear lowers to allow the user to enter the trike, and the wheelchair is then locked in position.
    The machine is based on a BMW R1200, with TVR inspired bodywork, LED lights etc. Controls are handlebar mounted with an F1 style button shift with a reverse gear, hand operated linked front and rear brakes, and multi speaker sound system.
    All up weight is 600kg, in a stable platform with enough performance to whip an Audi TT, and tested to well over 100mph.
    Still working on prices at the moment, but we are aiming to keep the costs as low as possible, and possible help from various other organizations.
    Anyway, your thoughts and criticisms are welcome. Cheers.
  2. We have one that lives round here, looks quite flash. Don't know about Motability compliance though.
  3. Got any pictures?

Price guide?
  4. I while back I did a bike series for Granada and we often featured custom bike manufacturers. We came across a few adapted trikes but I can't bloody remember the name of the custom builder. They looked similar to these:

Wheelchair Motorcycles & Handicap Trikes | Mobility Conquest

Obviously these are the septic versions but there are certainly UK equivalents.
  5. There is a chap in Milton Keynes running around with something like you discribe.

A nippy machine which is at home on the dual carriageways.

Have you considered joining the ROYAL BRITISH LEGION RIDERS BRANCH to promote these machines to the service community and donating or loaning a machine to the Military Injuries Rehab Centres.
  6. Still thrashing out prices at the moment, but as soon as I get a definite figure I will post it. Pics are available at
    The bike was originaly an English design, that was brought by an American company, who moved the whole operation to the US. I've worked out a deal to start bringing them in to the UK again.
  7. Licence requirements? A1 or just a B?

Is there a helmet requirement?

It should come with AA/RAC/ADAC etc full (and I mean full) cover as part of the price.

Just random thoughts.

8. No helmet requirement for a trike.
  9. Yes I am going to contact the RBL Riders, they seem like the way forward.
  10. I hope you've secured solus import rights, wouldn't want a Del Boy off the site nicking your idea!

Surely it would be cheaper to just build them here?
  11. And will be sorting AA cover, warranty and servicing plans.
  12. Import rights secured, no worries there.
  13. PM me for contact details etc if you require them.
  14. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Sounds good to me, I volunteer to be gifted one to try out
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ke1od has one on here