Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Harris, Oct 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. G'day folks,

Just a quick but possibly retarded question. I'm in the process of joining the TA, i was wondering how long you actually have to be in the TA to be called up for operations? Iraq for example.

Cheers guys, Harris
  2. Don't know if this helps, but in my case it was 28 years.
  3. What are your motives?
  4. Honestly, to be a strong TA soldier, and to do my bit in iraq, i feel strongly about the situation.
  5. Are you currently in some other form of employment which rules out joining the regular army?
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It will depend on your unit and role, but a reasonable rule of thumb is about a year after phase 2 training if you are going to be used in role. There are threads on here about TA courses and the implications of reduced training. Many units apply a 1 year guideline to allow for continuation training and to enable them to assess the suitability of the soldier.

That said, needs must etc and you may find yourself called up immediately after completing training.

7. Aye, it's nothing special, but it pay's the bills! :)
  8. Thankyou for your reply Duke, very helpfull. I'll have a gander through the other thread's.
  9. for the record 16 years but guys from my platoon went with us after serving for about 2 years