Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by SubTig, Aug 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

I used the search function but couldn't find the answer...

I'm looking for tour and I've made the PASO and SSPI aware and they have said when they get asked they will put my name down.

I know our sister regiment has a tour planned but that is over a year away. Who will be doing the asking in time for Herrick 15 in March or is there something else I should be doing to get myself on tour??? I'm not to concerned about who I get attached to.

Thanks in advance.
  2. msr

msr LE

3. i was under the impression H14 was starting in April??
  4. Good advice from MSR, your unit may not be too chuffed, but you can apply direct to Glasgow.

Reserve job opportunities - British Army Website

That was confirmed by Glasgow in their brief to TA CO's last month (see presentation on Army Net).

Fill your boots.

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Mobilisation tranches will be around March-April 2011 in order to sync with the predeployment training for Herrick 15. Deployment to theatre for H15 isn't till next autumn.
  6. In the link it only refers to FTRS, I was always under the impression that FTRS didnt offer the same financial clout as being "mobilsed" (vol or com), would I be right in saying that the only way to get out on tours is via FTRS now?
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

No - large numbers of TA soldiers are still being "intelligently mobilised" for service on Herrick.

A few are also having an all expenses sunshine and bucket + spade tour on TOSCA.
  8. You're right on the Ts&Cs (mob is better if you earn more civvie-side than mil but shorter) and the Duke is right on current practice.

The ROAL is for non-mob jobs - i.e. FTRS, nowadays, with NRPS being engineered to FTRS(HC). The "Operational Commitments Establishment" - see Armynet - has some of the tour jobs - most of the senior ones. Other tour roles are managed through units / CVHQs.
  9. Cheers fellas, been a while since I looked at the RAOL list (probably the early Telics) back then it seemed to have loads of Mob jobs on, everything from dishwasher to dog walker!
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

One advantage of FTRS is that it is a contract between the Army and you, and you can therefore be fairly sure that you will be filling a specific slot, for a contracted time. With mobilisation (and it is all officially 'compulsory'. although in fact it is all 'voluntary' as well) there are rather more uncertainties. Firstly, until you get the actual papers saying you've been mobilised then you cannot be sure. Glasgow do not usaully send these out much prior to 4 weeks early (unless you are a Medic) as things can change fast, and if they mobilise you too early you may not have a slot when the time comes. If that happens, it's "thanks very much, here's your mobilisation grant, see you later maybe!" Also once mobilised you are a Regular soldier, not in the TA any longer, and can of course be sent anywhere to do anything.

As HERRICK starts to wind down over the next 18 - 24 months expect fewer opportunities for mobilisation for Infantry, and slightly more for Tradesmen, and then even they will wind down, until there are none at all.
  11. Having now had a look at the most recent RAOL - I was (mostly right / talking complete bollocks). There are, of course, three mob trawls on it, as well as line 1 telling you to go to the OCE. Apart from the medics, they both seem to be for H14?
  12. Serial 1 on the RAOL spreadsheet is for mobilised jobs!
  13. And says "Go and check the OCE list"? Or do I have a different copy of the RAOL to you?
  14. My bad, meant 14 starting March 2011...

Cheers for all the replies guys!!