mobilisation versus FTRS

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by catslike, Aug 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone explain the REAL differences between volunteering to be mobilised or volunteering for a full committment FTRS...

and what is the maximum civvy pay the military will cover whilst either mob'd or ftrs'd ?

2. Have a scoot through;

http://www.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/career/mcmdivs/ta/opportunities.htm

I think mobilisation - you go for a specific tour, deploy for just the tour plus a couple weeks either side with the unit and your civ pay gets covered. FTRS you get attached to a units strength and work at that unit - if they go away on tour while you are there then you may or may not deploy with them. (Might have tour extended if required by the unit.)

Probably got some of it incorrect but have a look through the link.

CC_TA

3. When you are mobilised you and your employer get certain levels of protection and support under RFCA act 96. In brief, your pay is matched to your civvie pay (to a certain limit - known as a reservist award) and you are entitled to a job when you come back. You can only be mobilised for 11.5 months in any 3 or 5 year period (depending on what you're doing). Typically around 2 months training, 6 months on tour and then 2 months leave.

When on an FTRS you sign a contract with the Army and effectively must resign from your civilian employment. You get no job protection and your employer doesn't have to employ you again when you return. They can last from 6 to 42 months. At the end of your contract there is often the chance to re-engage (I know someone who has been in Canada now for what seems like years on an FTRS).

Often when people have maxed out on mobilised time (i.e. their 11.5 months) they can volunteer for an operational FTRS to go away instead (forfeiting job protection).

For more information look at http://www.army.mod.uk/rtmc/

4. alles klaar - anyone know what that limit is ?

5. You may be 'entitled', but do not rely on this protection as it has already been proven as little more than useless. The only case where the MOD has lost in court (when a returning TA soldier was made redundant), the principle may have been proven but the level of compensation was paltry (single digit thousands). In effect, this aspect of RFA is a facade.

Sadly, this is unlikely to change as all mobilisations are voluntary anyway, and most who mobilise do so in the knowledge/hope that their life/job etc won't be the same when they get back.

6. i´m on ftrs at the moment. the longest you can do in one stint is 5 years from what i´ve been told and understand from my contract. i´m unsure however as to how you extend as i´m 9 months into a 2year contract.

my old ta unit is deploying with my regt in november whereas i luckily i suppose am in the only sqn in the regt not to go. chinny up ay? should of stayed stab n got a tour