Mobilisation question- changing unit

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by antphilip, Sep 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Posted on behalf of a friend who can not retrieve arrse password.

If you have been allocated to a unit (not of ur own regiment) when you get to chillwell is it possible to swap?

I have been told that im going with a TA guard company but I would like to go armoured infantry for the back door in to the regs. cheers
  2. If you have a trade, it is possible to do an in theatre transfer. But it all depends on how many of the trade are /are needed at the locations.

As an aside Armoured Infantry is definatly the way to go. :D
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Of course you can transfer. Nobody will mind, especially not the adjutants, staff officers, G1 staff etc that have spent hours ensuring that the relevant LSNs are filled with the required number and type of soldier.

Does your friend think that mobilisation is all arranged to suit his career aspirations?

PS Stabby - planning on changing your ID soon since you are now no longer a ST2B and obviously an expert on Armd Inf?
  4. Last time I checked, I still wasn't a tiffy. Therefore the username is still appropriate.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but Armoured Inf was a lot better than the other units I was with and saw.
  5. duke, im the fella who asked ant to post, now using a mates user.

now i asked over a year ago to be mobilised with an armoured inf battalion. ive waited until now, been told i was going to get it, then i hear they have heard im down for the scots ta coy. no disrespect to those lads, but that is not the job i want to be doing.

I've heard you can be moved about once you get to chillwell if you are unhappy with where theyve put you, and im just trying to get the facts. by the way i am a l/cpl in the infantry, not a trade. cheers
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

defel's mate,

You are being used in role then.

Inf LCpl in a force protection Coy is what you are being mobilised for, so it is highly unlikely you will be moved unless there is a surplus of JNCOs in the Coy you are being mobilised for (unlikely), and a shortage in the Armd Inf unit (quite possible).

Whether you can sweet talk someone at RTMC to amend your posting order is another matter, but in service terms you are asking to be moved because of personal preference, not misuse of role/training etc.

Ask yourself - if you were them, would you want to redo all of the mobilisation paperwork and find a suitable replacement at that late stage because the LCpl standing in front of you fancies doing something else?
  7. deleted because I was talking with a hot head and out of order
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you want to go that route, that is your call.

Just try to understand that the system does not see itself as being there to meet your personal aspirations - it is there to meet a specific operational need. You volunteered to go, and as you have seen, the army sees you as an infantryman, not an armoured infantryman.

I think that your request to change based on gaining armd experience in order to backdoor into a Reg armd unit is unlikely to gain any sympathy whatsover, more likely outright ridicule.
  9. as above
  10. Whilst I can understand the desire to mobilise with your own bn, this is most definitely not a welfare issue.

If you approached me, I would say that you are there to serve the Army; the Army is not there to serve you. I might also have a cheeky word with the 'stab' coy that you would then go to, in order to let them know what you think of them.

If you haven't yet been mobilised, then there is no reason for you not to be able to withdraw your voluntary status. I rather doubt it will assist in your credibility in the future however - do not be surprised if you are viewd as 'difficult' and, who knows, you may be left behind when your mates go off next year.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

As you have not been yet, how do you know it has been wasted? Try and speak to people who have done FP Coy work before, and find out what they thought of it.

4 Para have just finished T7, working as one of the 5 Coys within the Reg Bns they supported rather than as a separate FP Coy and had a busy tour. Londons did 2 back to back and certainly earnt their pay out there. I am sure others have done similar. It is not all glorious, and a lot of boredom is involved as well.

It is what the TA inf is here to do at the moment, and you will certainly need your fitness, training etc to do it.

Don't dismiss it without looking into it. Good luck.
  12. dont want to say too much on that on the open forum so ive pmd u
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

seen and replied
  14. just a point - i dont mean any disrespect to anybody, especially with the use of stab. its what me and the boys call each other often and its not seen as a negative thing
  15. msr

msr LE

The same ones which sent me to Iraq to fill a LSN which was filled 3 months prior, and forgot to tell anyone I was coming :evil: ?