Mobilisation cock up

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by morepressupsplease, Nov 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in a tight spot and I could do with some advice.

I was called up by my unit four months ago for Herrick 18 and started at Chilwell on Monday. I applied for a Reservists Award, and I have been told now by Chilwell that the Army does not want to pay me as I earn too much (well within the £200k limit), Glasgow is trawling for a replacement and so I will be sent home. I have also had to leave my flat because it was provided by my employer. My employer and I will also be monumentally messed around if I have to go back; they because they are sacking people and don't expect me back for a year; me because I will now lack credibility and be top of the list, and the Army will have potentially ruined my career. I have otherwise met every other Army requirement, have been trained, and am generally good at my job.

I'm getting fed up with J1 responses about it being "Intelligent Mobilisation" when it is anything but. Does anybody have any informed opinions about where I stand legally or any advice about how best to approach the situation?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. Do you NEED the whole pay ?

If you can handle being paid no more than £200,000 then they may not look to replace you.

3. Why don't you just take the pay for your rank and level?

• Like Like x 3
  4. As I said, I am paid more than my rank in the Army but still within than the 200k limit. I have already been forced into a reduction of tens if thousands of pounds.

And no, it is not fair -at all- that I should accept the pay for my Army rank. I have a civilian job and this is how much I get paid. The Army called me up due to it's own manning gap, and I agreed to go under the terms offered by the Army, which are legal rights and part of my TACOS, namely that the Army would pay me my civilian salary and benefits up to a limit of 200k. I negotiated a release from a reluctant employer, where I will be held back professionally if I return and who will be messed around should I tip back up. I gave up my employer provided flat, moved out, put my belongings into storage in the interim and sent my girlfriend to stay with friends, on the understanding that the Army would fulfil it's commitment. Now I've reported for duty and met every requirement professionally and medically, but the Army have decided they don't want to pay me my legitimate salary. I have been told this is 'intelligent mobilisation'-making sure that the most appropriate person is mobilised. Bollocks. If it was intelligent, somebody would have made the decision before calling me up.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 7
  5. What did the J1 bods say about your paperwork? When I was mobilised (and it was a while ago now system may well have changed) The Army matched all my civvie pay, which like you was way more than my rank, without question once they had seen P60, payslips, pension contributions etc. The only issues with pay that I recall (with the guys that I was mobilsed with) were with the blokes who had not brought adequate paperwork to back up income claims etc. Are J1 asking for more paperwork to prove income? What advice have your unit given you in terms of appeal etc?

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

"if it was intelligent, somebody would have made the decision before I was called up" is a valid point. If they are now applying a financial filter in addition to the cap of £200k then they should be making that clear during the early stages of the mobilisation process, long before RTMC.

As to the rest of it, the mobilisation process always has the option of people being sent home for a variety of reasons. I made this clear to my employer, and advised all of my lads to do the same. Until you have been formally taken into service right at the end you are just a TA bloke doing admin.

7. I'm going to assume that you're a very senior officer to be expecting those sorts of salary levels? If for some bizarre reason you were a ranker who was lucky enough to earn that sort of civvy pay, then I could see why they might question it.

Also - I assume you're supplying 12 months of pay slips and a P60? Without accusing you of such a thing, I do know of folk who've just had a letter off their 'boss' saying how they earned xxxx amount and trying to claim it, or making up all sorts of 'bonuses' that they couldn't prove.....

Anyway - it is wrong and should have been sorted way back - RTMC is binning quite a lot of blokes on this current mobilisation for some pretty trivial reasons, with many of them being things that should have been noted at unit level months ago and flagged up as issues.

To only flag issues up once blokes have binned their jobs and put their lives into storage for a year is going to do nothing for retention......

8. Intelligent retention scheme....

9. I'm now awaiting the usual rant after one of my posts - bait on hook, crack on!

10. If you are earning that sort of money you would have the sense to appoint a solicitor who could give you proper advice.

11. I know a load of TA blokes who have very well paid civvie jobs who prefer to soldier in the ranks. High civvie pay is no indication of rank in the TA.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Strange that you now go to the 'top of the list' for redundancy with your employer - the one that is feeling the pinch in the recession. Automatically, and because of the Army. And that you had to clear out of the flat pretty sharpish. And you were in no way being considered for the chop before being mobilised. No, that can't have figured on your decision to apply for mobilisation, surely?

And there couldn't be any other reason why Chilwell declined you, could there? You were well within the salary cap after all. You wouldn't be on here looking for loopholes to make Chilwell keep you comfty when you were warned off for the chopping block in civvy would you?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I was just throwing out a suggestion as to why they'd bin him based on salary and/or refuse to pay him his full civvy pay. Doesn't really make any sense to pay a ranker close to 200K, because surely their role can't be that important that it can't be filled by someone cheaper?

Not saying it isn't wrong and shouldn't have been flagged earlier, but just playing devils advocate......

14. Its gonna get expensive for HM Govt to call up a load of reserves if they cost up to 200k each! Perhaps the TA should have an idea of how much an individual is going to cost to call up, before they call them up.

And as for all these whingers, if his TACOS say he's entitled to the money, don't begrudge him it. Perhaps, cases like this will make the MoD think twice about its reliance on the reserves.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Makes perfect sense to me, however it's not me in the OP's situation.

Have to add that when I was in, we had to fund our hobbies out of our own pockets...........;P