Mobiles to be given to Afghan civilians.

Wonder if they will allow us to finally use them in theatre.

Apparently there is a shortage of bomb initiation devices in Afghanistan, so the British Government is going to correct the shortage.

Same methods as attempted bombers in London are on trial for now!

Do they get custom ringtones as well? 'Boom-banga-bang" suggests itself.

Maple said:
Unbelievable, the worst idea I've ever heard, let's provide opfor with improved coms - *
I dunno. If we're supplying the phones I can see how that'd make it easier to eavesdrop. We know the frequencies and the capabilities down to pat. It could be a good source of int if used properly.

Please tell me someone's thought of this?

smartascarrots said:
Maple said:
Unbelievable, the worst idea I've ever heard, let's provide opfor with improved coms - *
I dunno. If we're supplying the phones I can see how that'd make it easier to eavesdrop. We know the frequencies and the capabilities down to pat. It could be a good source of int if used properly.

Please tell me someone's thought of this?[/
quote]

Take yourself into the naughty corner Carrots, of course they havn't.

bobthedog said:
Apparently there is a shortage of bomb initiation devices in Afghanistan, so the British Government is going to correct the shortage.

Same methods as attempted bombers in London are on trial for now!
That's what came to my mind too !!

I think its a great idea, let the afghan population suffer from cold calls from Indian call centres. They'll be so outraged that Indian call centres will start exploding. Sorts two problems out in one go. Fecking genius IMO.

Sorry smartascarrots but the monitoring of the phone between user and the cell site is very difficult as its encrypted and a multi channel frequency hopping device. Once at the cell its easy to monitor, but I doubt that much intelligible would be spoken across them.

After all the Taliban and the Mujahadeen were communicating securely long before the latest influx of foreign troops into their country, and the russians certainly had the capability for monitoring and interception.

bobthedog said:
Sorry smartascarrots but the monitoring of the phone between user and the cell site is very difficult as its encrypted and a multi channel frequency hopping device. Once at the cell its easy to monitor, but I doubt that much intelligible would be spoken across them.

After all the Taliban and the Mujahadeen were communicating securely long before the latest influx of foreign troops into their country, and the russians certainly had the capability for monitoring and interception.
Would it be possible to only issue phones for which we had the encryption key? Just an idea.

Of course, we could always spread the rumour that that was what we had done. If nothing else, it'd make them wonder about the security of their comms., especially if ISAF went to great lengths to deny anything of the sort...

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Whose paying for it
Will they get G3 and a fancy contract
So to add to water,food and money they will want £5 T mobile top up every time you visit?

Easier to tap the Cell to Central exchange link, than the phone itself, as a phone with a good signal will only transmit a small amount of power, and ideally the intercept equipment should be within short range of the transmitter itself (not good news for elint units).