Mobile Phones - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by happybonzo, Dec 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My phone has finally died the death and so I've got to replace it. I don't use it very much so a PAYG will be the order of the day
    I do like having a camera on it. I do send text messages occasionally and sometimes even make phone calls.

I have no interest in "facebook" or web browsing on a phone. I've got perfectly good laptops, desktops and tablet PCs for that.

But what I would like though is to have maps with a GPS facility. Am I right in thinking that you have to pay every time you use a map?

And any suggestions as to what to buy would help. I cannot be bothering with the sales people in mobile phone shops. I know that they're only trying to do their job but when I get asked what I'm looking for when I haven't even had a chance to look makes me think murderous thoughts.

2. I'd get a 2nd hand one from ebay - stick to the brand you know, or Sony can be pretty cheap for an android phone from ebay (Xperia of something small for around £40). You do need a data connection to use google maps etc, so it can work out where you are, but you could always get a one month contract one for around £10 per month? Cancel it if you don't use it. The apps are very handy, 80% of mine don't use the net anyway and I download them while connected to my braodband (through wifi) at home.

3. Nokia 5230 has excellent gps and satnav. free usage with ovi maps. Cheap as chips too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using ARRSE mobile app

4. If your looking for a brand new phone, not second hand, then the LG Nexus 4 (8mb) is about £250 sim card free and unlocked on Google play. They have sold out at the moment but I'm sure more will soon be in stock.

The 16mb version is going on sale in January for about £280.
    A very good phone running the latest Android version (4.2 I think).

The review on Techradar is here.

I'll be looking to upgrade in the New Year and for the price I'll probably be getting one of these.

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Samsung Galaxy or iPhone.

6. I've currently got an iphone and don't want one again, but thats a personal thing. And the Samsung Galaxy S2 is still going out at £290, and it's replacement the S3 is banging about for £350ish.

The Nexus4 is the most up to date Android phone (it should be as it's Google's own phone and they run Android), it's not full of other manufacturerss bloatware and it's it cheaper.

Personally I like the Galaxy S3, but if price is a consideration (in my case it is) the Nexus4 is the choice for me.

7. Wait til next month, if rumours are anything to go by then the SG4 will be announced