Mobile Phone power bank

Good Morning

Anyone have a recommendation for mobile phone power bank, lightweight as I want to use it when back packing.

I have one now but it only puts about 50% charge into the mobile phone, would be useful to have one that gives a full charge, also a power bank that is capable of hold the charge for at least a couple of days

Many Thanks

Archie

I use this:

It'll charge an iPhone 6s once from flat. It's 4" tall and under an inch in diameter.

They do other ones with more charge too - look down the page.

More than happy with it.

I've got this. It'll charge an iPhone multiple times from dead and you can charge multiple devices at the same time. It weighs 500g, but they make smaller banks if you're a pussy. Anker products seem really polished and get rave reviews.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I use this:

It'll charge an iPhone 6s once from flat. It's 4" tall and under an inch in diameter.

They do other ones with more charge too - look down the page.

More than happy with it.
I have something generally externally similar. It's branded kit: Model S 2 Capacity 2,000mAh Input 5 V/0.5A Output 5V/1A.

I've never known it to fully discharge whilst charging a phone/mobile device (including Lenovo Yoga 10 and Amazon Fire 7).

Gets warm while discharging.

Free as part of a buy 3 ancillaries, get third free at Car phone Warehouse early last year. Still doing what it says on the box. I dare say under Moore's Law they're better now.

Good Morning

Anyone have a recommendation for mobile phone power bank, lightweight as I want to use it when back packing.

I have one now but it only puts about 50% charge into the mobile phone, would be useful to have one that gives a full charge, also a power bank that is capable of hold the charge for at least a couple of days

Many Thanks

Archie
What size of battery does your mobile phone have (if you don't know then just say what phone it is and that will be found out in seconds)?

Go for a power bank at least 100% of what your phone battery is, my "ideal" is a minimum 3500mAh pack for a 3000mAh phone battery, and don't be fooled by expensive brand names either, or ones with multiple outputs if you only ever need to charge one device at a time.

What size of battery does your mobile phone have (if you don't know then just say what phone it is and that will be found out in seconds)?

Go for a power bank at least 100% of what your phone battery is, my "ideal" is a minimum 3500mAh pack for a 3000mAh phone battery, and don't be fooled by expensive brand names either, or ones with multiple outputs if you only ever need to charge one device at a time.
Yes it is a MOTO G (3rd Generation)

Archie

Can't find the spec, but I have a solar one somewhere - about the size of a fag packet.
Lent it to a mate, who strapped it onto his backpack, and he said it worked admirably.
No you don't and no you didn't, you haven't got any mates.

You're an internet fibber who just completely made that up in order to some how feel involved or relevant.

Yes it is a MOTO G (3rd Generation)

Archie

2470mAh battery, look for a minimum of 3000mAh battery pack but, as usual, the bigger the better and since the price difference of jumping up to 4000mAh is not much then, as an example, this one should do you quite nicely as you have a full charge plus an extra half charge or so if necessary.

GOJI Powerbank 4000mAh

Kids have got a couple of them from somewhere. Tesco probably.
Last them all week end for tablet and phone.
Being teens their devices are never off more than 30 seconds.

Edit: just had a nosey at one and its a brand called Tortoise.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I bought one of these a while back, manages to give 2 full charges.

The ones about the size of a Polo mint tube (are those still made?) are basically free, from any vaguely tech-related trade show. Attend one, and you could pick up half a dozen for nothing. Scotchbrite off the branding that it will have, and you're good to go.

From firsthand knowledge, they cost about $2 each, with your branding printed on the side. At trade shows, the idea is to give all this shit away in exchange for a business card/lead. Nobody manning the stand wants to cart all this heavy shit home, so the name of the game is to give away all of them. $2 a lead is peanuts, so it doesn't matter who you give the shit away to. If you give away 500 battery chargers at $2 a pop and get 10 good leads, you're well ahead. If you get 20, you're in clover.

I use a device which comprises a plastic case that gets loaded with 4 AA batteries. As you'll probably be carrying spare batteries anyway, that brings the additional weight factor down to 38g (batteries 75g).

Bear in mind that a 3000mAh charger will only half-fill a 3000mAh battery from flat, leaving 1500mAh still in the charger. So if you use your spare batteries to charge your phone, you'll still have spare coulombs to run your torch - or to quarter-fill your phone when it runs flat again.

Probably a bone question in these days of sealed-unit phones, but does yours have a removeable battery and back, like my lovely Microsoft Lumia 640? If so, you could be better off getting a couple of cheap batteries, charging them up and using them instead of a powerbank. If you're only out for a couple of days, three batteries, including the one you've already got, should be enough.

I've got a powerbank too, but it doesn't fully charge either my Lumia 640 or my Galaxy S4.

Probably a bone question in these days of sealed-unit phones, but does yours have a removeable battery and back, like my lovely Microsoft Lumia 640? If so, you could be better off getting a couple of cheap batteries, charging them up and using them instead of a powerbank. If you're only out for a couple of days, three batteries, including the one you've already got, should be enough.

I've got a powerbank too, but it doesn't fully charge either my Lumia 640 or my Galaxy S4.
His battery is "fixed" so that isn't an option.

His battery is "fixed" so that isn't an option.
Ouch.

Well, power bank's his only option. I'd go for one with some solar charging capability.

The ones about the size of a Polo mint tube (are those still made?) are basically free, from any vaguely tech-related trade show. Attend one, and you could pick up half a dozen for nothing. Scotchbrite off the branding that it will have, and you're good to go.

From firsthand knowledge, they cost about $2 each, with your branding printed on the side. At trade shows, the idea is to give all this shit away in exchange for a business card/lead. Nobody manning the stand wants to cart all this heavy shit home, so the name of the game is to give away all of them. $2 a lead is peanuts, so it doesn't matter who you give the shit away to. If you give away 500 battery chargers at $2 a pop and get 10 good leads, you're well ahead. If you get 20, you're in clover.
Yep. I have 5 of them in my desk as I type this. From exactly that scenario.

But the one I take on long trips is a bit bigger and along with the USB charge bit also takes 4 AA batteries which are normally good for a couple of charges of the phone. (An older LG model so no idea on Iphones etc)

Last edited:
Ouch.

Well, power bank's his only option. I'd go for one with some solar charging capability.
Naah, I just go for two with me, it ain't as if they're that expensive for a 4000mAh pack and two of them will give the the best part of three full charges for my phone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Mobile Phones 50
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 69
Auld-Yin Mobile Phones 46