Mobile Phone network suppliers

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Auld-Yin, Feb 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Folks, this may have been done before but any assistance would be appreciated.

I have been with Orange for several years now and while their service has been good it has not been spectacular.

I am currently coming to the end of my current contract and would appreciate some advice regards :
    a. type of phone I should get (not an iphone)
    b. best recommendation for network supplier
    c. any other relevant advice which will help me get the best yet cheapest deal.

I pass this over to the SMEs of Arrse and look forward to loads of advice leading to many beer tokens remaining in my pocket.

Thanks

A-Y

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

What are your requirements?

Are you:

1. a dinosaur that only wants a speaking trumpet on the move?
    2. Like to do texts, emails, web surfing and talking all at the same time?
    3. want speak & text only?
    4. Want cool gadgets that does all of option 2 + music, GPS, etc?

Give us an idea and we can shape our response.

3. I'll leave the Phone and Network to you, but when it comes to saving ackers on your contract

http://www.onecompare.com/buy-a-mobile-phone/

Brilliant site. You choose what you want, cashback (easy or claim based), freebies etc.

Before anyone tells you not to use cashback as the firms go bust, yes, that's partially true.

First of all, if you go for the claim based cashback, they are reliant on you not to send in your claim at the right period, you snooze you lose! If however they do go bust and you don't get your cash back then you will keep any freeby that you got too, and if you have only claimed just one of your payouts, then you will still have gained over a standard contract direct with any of the networks!

Try it, it's good. I've got all my families via it and I've not looked back. The best one is the one for my Mum, 300 minutes a month and over the 12 months it works out at free! Now that's what I call a contract.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

#1,3 & 4 :D I do use the machine for more than phone calls but don't need GPS or e-mail or access to t'interweb thingy. I have other means for that. So a phone that does everything except 2, plus the network supplier to go with it. Not much to ask for, eh? :p

Infiltrator - thanks for that link, I will give it a look.

5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

In that case, I suggest you look at what Vodafone has to offer you.

Best coverage in the UK (especially in Haggis Land - assumption that you live there as well as being one). Even if you live in an area with lower than stellar coverage you can get a Pico Cell that attaches to your broadband and is in effect you own cell phone sub-station in your home.

If you are gum bumper look at a 600 min deal (that is 20 free mins a day) and lower texts. If you are text loony - then flip it.

If you can't find a deal for about £15 -20 a month and that is all you pay for a kick ass phone and 12 month contract - you ain't looking.

Helpful?

Nokia appear to have the best selection of phones - but this is a deeply personal thing (example I loved the K-Razr by Motorola when it was new and cool because it folded out to the size of a real phone not a matchbox).