Mobile phone fraud warning from BT

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by tearsbeforebedtime, Nov 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All right boys and girls, I just recieved this e-mail at the office:

If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press # 90 or #09 or any other number. End his call immediately without pressing any numbers.

There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense. Forward this message to as many friends as you can, to stop it.

All mobile users pay attention if you receive a phone call and your mobile phone displays (XALAN) on the screen don't answer the call, END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY, if you answer the call, your phone will be infected by a virus..

This virus will erase all IMEI and IMSI information from both your phone and your SIM card, which will make your phone unable to connect with the telephone network. You will have to buy a new phone.

This information has been confirmed by both Motorola and Nokia.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS PIECE OF INFORMATION TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS HAVING A MOBILE

Yxx Txxx

Broadband Diagnostics Repair Team

BT Wholesale Services

Swansea, NKG14G

01792 638xxx

Considering the source and the fact that my collegue knows the source I am going to believe it and thought I would pass it on.

T B B

2. This is one of the oldest Internet hoaxes around and dates back to at least 1998.

Almost by co-incidence, a similar e-mail was sent out by my site security officer about 3 weeks ago. He elaborated the e-mail by saying that the local plod had confirmed it etc etc... which when I rang said local plod, denied all knowledge of it!

I help moderate an Internet hoax web site, where we aim to at least dispel rumour and myth, and provide straight forward information about what is true and what is a hoax. This ones as old as the hills!

For more information have a look at: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa021898.htm