Mobile Phone Directory

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by papamike_9, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If this has been posted before or its in the wrong place. sorry for being a mong. I think speed is of the essence. These companies will be buying up as many numbers as they can come Monday and once they got yours its too late.

THIS IS NOT A SCAM

Maybe you have heard about this but early next week all UK mobiles will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. We have all unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by the BBC – see link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm

Just done this myself. Double checked it wasn’t a scam and it is actually on the BBC website recommending to do this.

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
    All numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold calling and the general abuse that less scrupulous telesales people subject us too.

To remove your number go here. (you need your mobile phone with you to do this, they text you a code)

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

You can remove your number from this list, and tell all your friends - especially those with children who have mobile phones. I personally believe my mobile number is private and I should be able to chose who I give it to - none of us agreed to this when we signed our mobile phone contracts

Pm9

2. Are pay as you go mobiles / numbers included in the above?

3. Been done here a few times already.

Complete bollox, which is fortunate, seeing as the article was published 4 weeks ago.

If you actually read the article you'd see they don't give your number out anyway, but if you must insist on a tin-foil hat then don't let me stop you...

4. Did it last week, took at least 10 seconds to do. I agree that the company doesn't give out your mobile number willy-nilly but if I want, I can do tell people that I want to keep in touch with my mobile number.

I don't want some chuffer phoning me and trying to con me out of anything because it will happen. They'll come up with a jolly good wheeze which you will be tricked into answering so all I've done is take temptation (and the opportunity) away from them. Bastads! :evil:

5. There is really no need to take that attitude I was only trying to help and advise. Feeling a bit inadequate are you, had a bad day and want to abuse someone.

Ok then, I’m the CSA/ex bird/ any organisation and I'm looking for someone.

I ring 118800

I’m looking for a number for PM9 I think he lives in King Street Leeds.

IL just check

I’m sorry but PM9 doesn’t want to talk to you

The organisation has now confirmed that I live on King Street and it sending some out to see me.

Why make it easy.

It’s my number and I should have a say in who calls or disturbs me. Nothing to do with paranoia.

6. Tin foil hat or not I decide who gets my chuffin number....ex directory now!