Mobile Phone Chipping (SIM unlock)

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Mr Happy, Oct 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Guys,

Does anyone know of a good NOKIA site where I can de-sim lock my new mobile, I travel a fair bit and don't want to have to keep two phones, sets of numbers, chargers etc when I can just change the SIM* card over.

Mr H

Obviously SIM cards are for two different countries so I get the cheapest call options. HATE paying for incoming calls..

2. Most markets have a stall that unlock phones. You can also get a dual sim card reader that fits inside some phones, google them.

3. You could always phone the network the phone originates from they will charge anything upto £30 to unlock the handset and your warranty won't be impaired.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I could do that in 11 months and 2 weeks...

5. Bang on Smudge,

I paid the princly sum of £5 and it took only a few minutes at the local market.

Some sites require you to send the phone by recorded mail or pay a hefty fee for an unlocking code.

fastmedic

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Issue 1 - no freindly markets at my loc over.

Issue 2 - WTF is a duel sim reader - I've read the google response and it appears to be nothing more than a way to carry a second SIM card. My issue is the second 'foreign' SIM won't work in the new phone

7. Dual sim card reader sounds like your best bet here, i assume it will need to be unlocked at an aformentioned market stall first though.
    EDIT:

1: Any un-friendly ones?
    2: Dual Sim Card Reader. A way of holding an additional Sim Card, with some circuitry that will effectively "swap" the active sim on a reboot of the phone.

8. Don't get all stressed. If you don't like my advice, then don't use it. Where are you??

9. You can do it anytime within your contract, thats why they offer the service.

10. http://unlock.nokiafree.org/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=383930

My work here is done...... time for a brew :D

11. thats what I'm after - cheers LVH

12. Hi, if you are really stuck there is always walt bay, I had to buy an unlock for my wife there. cost me £4 for a samsung unlock