Mobile friendly theme

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, May 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

it's come and gone, come and gone and never been slick. It's here again and I'm hoping that we have and can continue to develop a good, usable mobile style that is easier to use than the main site on all but the largest mobile devices such as tablets.

So the next time you visit the site on a smartphone then you should get the mobile site automatically. I've made it really obvious how to revert to the main site, but just in case you miss it, there's a link in the footer of every page to get back to the full site.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask for any feedback and suggestions for improvement. I have much more control over the style than I do over the mobile apps so feedback won't just be ignored.

I will continue to look at the problem of making the full site good to use on large screen mobiles in slow time.

Thanks

2. HHH

HHH LE

Would it be possible to have "Subscribed Threads" on it ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Good suggestion. It won't happen immediately but it's certainly something I will look at when I have a moment

4. Any chance of a post or page count? It's a great at-a-glance combat indicator for a really good row going on.

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Also a good idea and that one I should be able to tackle quite quickly

6. mobile_count.png

Actually, it's already there, or have I misunderstood?

7. Something that does need changing is the icon to log in, a weird meaningless cross thing

8. Mobile version it's not for me , I prefer your I phone/pad version especially the blue overlay when you tap on a thread and everything is organised

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We have to accept that a full app is probably going to be better than a mobile-friendly theme, otherwise the likes of eBay and other companies with huge web development budgets wouldn't make apps.

The downside of course is that you have to install apps and they take up room on your phone. So regular users are likely to install apps, which casual visitors (and those on Windows phones etc) can use the mobile theme in their normal phone browser. 'Orses for courses.

10. That is quite true the down side of using the iPad and iPhone is storage , Especially when you are downloading app's .
    You can buy extra storage on iCloud on a yearly basis , but the one advantage on a computer , is you can have is large storage and faster speed

11. View attachment 74944

Excuse me nicking your pic, something that took me ages to realise from when the mobile version first got done (and still works now). On smartphones, to get to the end of the thread quickly, instead of clicking on the numbers of pages and advancing a few pages at a time, you can drag the page number bar right to left which will scroll quicker. Most useful on large threads or if you've got a poor connection.

Apologies if you've just sucked an egg.

I agree with your point about the log in icon

Mobile version looks good on HTC Desire, hoping to try it out on the HTC One X in the next couple of weeks :)

12. HHH

HHH LE

I have been getting the mobile version whilst trying to log in on my PC.

Capture mobile arrse.jpg

13. Do you not have the option to change on the very bottom left corner?

ARRSEStyle.jpg

14. Ahhh, just changed to Mobile and back, when in mobile you need to find this at the bottom centre:

ARRSEStyle2.jpg

15. HHH

HHH LE

It was showing the full site as selected at the bottom of the page.