Mo Mowlam critical but stable

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4739329.stm

Former Northern Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam is critically ill, hospital officials have said.
The popular and charismatic ex-cabinet minister oversaw the negotiations which led to the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

Ms Mowlam, Labour MP for Redcar between 1987-2001, is well-known for her outspoken views and tactile charm.

A spokeswoman at King's College Hospital said Ms Mowlam, 55, had been admitted at the weekend. She described her condition as "critical but stable".

Dismissed from the cabinet for committing the crime of being more popular than Chairman Tony. A crying shame. C'mon girl.

Apart from calling Martin McGuiness 'sweetie' she was a hell of a lot better than most of the shower in Westminister. Get well soon, Mo.

Come on Mo , Fight. You never backed down, don't do it now. Best wishes to Mo and her family at this time.

Gosh - how awful - and I hate all politicians.

Best wishes to Mo and her family.

(First time I've posted a condolence as well - blimey)

She was the first politician i ever respected Despite her being a labour MP)

Get well and lets see you back in parliment giving tony hell!

Without wishing the worst on someone who is ill I am surprised at the postings about mowlam. She was an absolute disgrace as SoS NI, she spent more time cosying up to terrorists and bad mothing the security forces, when the Chief Constable admitted that the PIRA had 'executed' an 'informer'in 1999 she just blithely ignored it despite their supposed cease fire, still such spineless caving in to terrorists (well in NI anyway) is now official policy of course...........

Goodness me! ........poor old Mo.

Chances of survival are equel to the cinematographically recorded destruction of IRA arms.

Weak and liberal as a Politician.
Nice human being though.

Hang in the Mo....... politics aside, a decent lady and some one i am sure i would have ease raising a pint of beer with..... might not look so great but may be she can get thru this..... fight hard Mo

Could'nt really give a fcuk about her, she was a disgrace as SOS for NI, tree hugging cow. I supose thats abit unfair as every SOS for NI was a fcuking tool. If she pops her clogs, I don't think it would be a great loss. Being the kind human I am, I wish her well, sort of.

I've met Mo on more than a number of occasions; as a familiy friend she attended my Mum's funeral, even though she should have been elsewhere at the time, for which she got her knuckles rapped. She was agreat support to my familiy during my mothers long period of illness. Regardless of your political persuassions, or whether you think she did or didn't do well, she was a devoted public servant while in office. Lets hope you get better Mo.

If a person goes into politics and therefore has an influence for good or bad then that person should be judged on that. I can't believe that this 'dianafication' of Ms Mowlem is a result of mosts postees really knowing what she is like and it seems strange to me that so many are plugging her as some sort of saint already. I think she was not a figure to admire and was public disaster but having said that, I hope she doesn't suffer too long.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I feel oddly conflicted here. I knew her quite well when she was SOSNI and she was a disgraceful apologist for terrorism and a Republican groupie, a shockingly bad SOSNI who should take most of the blame for the endless footdragging by the Provos which has meant that the process (which was fully scripted to be crisp and effective) has been allowed to go on for this long, with this many concessions by HMG and still no real action from PIRA - and a majoirty population which has every right to be deeply cynical.

Seemed like a nice woman, though, albeit totally out of her depth and viciously prejudiced on an irrational and visceral level against the RUC, the Army, the dodgier bits of the Crown and Civil Services and the ordinary and decent working folk of Northern Ireland.

Good luck to her on the personal level, bad cess and good riddance on the professional and political.

Temple said:
Without wishing the worst on someone who is ill I am surprised at the postings about mowlam. She was an absolute disgrace as SoS NI, she spent more time cosying up to terrorists and bad mothing the security forces, when the Chief Constable admitted that the PIRA had 'executed' an 'informer'in 1999 she just blithely ignored it despite their supposed cease fire, still such spineless caving in to terrorists (well in NI anyway) is now official policy of course...........
Likewise, I wish her a speedy recovery, no one deserves her predicament. However, as Temple quite rightly says she was not good at SoS NI. She may have come across as good on the TV but believe me, there were some major issues in reality.

Seemed like a nice woman, though, albeit totally out of her depth and viciously prejudiced on an irrational and visceral level against the RUC...
The widely-reported incident whereby she allegedly boasted of sending her RUC protection team to go and buy her tampons as part of an attempt to "liberate the Ulster male" immediately springs to mind.

V!

She has no respect for the armed forces. She turned up at the Cenotaph in Belfast on Remembrance Day looking like a female version of Michael Foot then bunging her wreath onto the memorial much like you would throw a Frisbee. I was also around when those other events took place that have been referred to.

However, she deserves all the support any human being should get when confronting a life threatening disease.

Vitriolic abuse wishing her anything but a speedy recovery is regretable and does neither this site nor the reputation of the Army any good - it merely reinforces the prejudices of those who would wish to see us fail.

Some posts deleted.

Mowlam may not have been the greatest SOSNI , but she is in hospital dying by degrees. I have no intention of allowing remarks such as "I hope she dies in pain" to remain on this board.

She is widely credited with actually getting the Good Friday process started, which has led in turn to the IRA saying they're going to give up violence and return to the democratic process. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

If you cannot repect her for her time as SOSNI , that is understandable, but hoping she dies painfully is not a sentiment I wish to see expressed on Arrse.

PTP

Latest Threads