MMA Thread

I did a quick search via ARRSE android app and couldn't find an mma thread so thought id start one

Starters for ten:
Will bisping ever be a ufc champ
Who youd fancy to topple velaquez at hw
Does tate stand a chance against rousey

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ARRSE mobile app

My answers
No (regretably)
Maybe travis browne if he keeps his hands up, overeem if focussed, courmier if he stays at hw (which he isnt). All are long shots
Live to say tate. But rousey will run through her with her size and grappling. Tate aint got the striking to keep hr away

SPIDER38

On ROPS
On ROPs
I was thinking of starting a thread like this recently myself,but i was going to ask peoples opinion on wheather they prefer it to boxing or wheather they think both are just as bad as the other.....i grew up watching boxing all my school boy heros were the old timers like louis,marciano,dempsey and frazier the thing that interested me most about these men were there life stories and the fact that they were the type of men who would rather leave the ring on a streatcher than lose,i stopped watching boxing in the mid ninteen ninties,and now boxing is a joke its almost a novelty now for a boxer to take a good punch and not eithier fall down or for the ref to jump in...and lets face it people like Audley Harrison have made a mockery of it i believe,that geezer has got his own streatcher bearers and has the sponsers on the soles of his boots.

But at the same time ive seen a fair few MMAfights and could probably count the decent ones on two hands with fingers to spare GSP verses Jon Fitch is the best on i've seen but these almost always go to ground were they end up rolling around like the wrestlers they are...imo boring,if i had the choice between watching a good boxing match and a good UFC fight i would probably chose the boxing,you can't beat a good stand up fight.As for Bisping he will never win the title imo,his chin is to vulnerable and he has no ground game compared the other top class fighters,to me it seems british fighters cannot keep their cool and think when its needed,Paul Daley and James Mcsweeny were/are the best British fighters i've seen very aggressive with good chins.But to win UFC you need to be a grappler,and the brits don't seem to be very good at that.......i can take or leave both nowadays.

I like both boxing and mma, but would choose the former if pushed. Grew up watching the eubank and benn fights (witg my grandparents) as a kid, so its nostalgic.

Trouble with boxing isvthe plethora of belts and weight classes - the super, light and 'standard' classes could easily be merged so we see better competition. Will never happen.

At least with ufc having a near monopoly you see the best vs the best. Do get sick of the grapple-fest (people like koshcheck snoothering soneone for the decision).

I cant see a uk champ coming at the moment. Bisping is the best we have as hes always a near contender, but seems to just fall short against the top guys.

I wonder if MMA will be accepted as an Army sport, the way boxing is. I always loved the unit boxing nights, with everybody in the gym or the sports hall, cheering their fighters on in the ring. It would be great to find that there was a unit cagefighting night, and Army cagefighting championships.

I have to say that I preferred the early UFC, which was bare knuckle, and only 3 rules: no biting, no eye-gouging and no strikes to the throat.

Hopefully not because he's an absolute whopper and there are few finer things to see in life than him being punched in the face!
On holiday in Thailand a few years ago and met a guy who trained at The Wolf's Lair when Bisping trained there and he echoed your words saying the guy is a complete bell-end.

Over here we seem lack the background of grappling, wrestling and BJJ. Good example= High school wrestling in the states is like Rugby or Football, so very popular. We are only just staring to open BJJ gyms in the UK. Bisping is good but he appears clumsy with the grappling sometimes where as the yanks have made the floor their playground now. He'd be very lucky to win the UFC but can never say never but I wouldn't put my hard earned cash on it just in case. Good to see a MMA thread

Over here we seem lack the background of grappling, wrestling and BJJ. Good example= High school wrestling in the states is like Rugby or Football, so very popular. We are only just staring to open BJJ gyms in the UK. Bisping is good but he appears clumsy with the grappling sometimes where as the yanks have made the floor their playground now. He'd be very lucky to win the UFC but can never say never but I wouldn't put my hard earned cash on it just in case. Good to see a MMA thread
Agree with your point on the grappling - much more emphasis on this in can, us and brazil. I think that the reason why these countries dominate the sport is that the rules are geared up towards grapplers. You cant kick or knee a downed opponant in the head - so a rash and subsuquently botched takedown has limited consequences. The striker on the other hand going for a wild swing ir haymaker, has no such 'protection' from the rules - he'll be on his ass getting pummeled.
Maybe im just biased as I prefer strikers.

Bispings grappling and ground game has got better, but still not at the right level. The top 3 in the division (weidman, silva and machida) are way ahead of him in skill. Moving up to light heavy, the competition is even more fierce

I wonder if MMA will be accepted as an Army sport, the way boxing is. I always loved the unit boxing nights, with everybody in the gym or the sports hall, cheering their fighters on in the ring. It would be great to find that there was a unit cagefighting night, and Army cagefighting championships.

I have to say that I preferred the early UFC, which was bare knuckle, and only 3 rules: no biting, no eye-gouging and no strikes to the throat.
Im sure there was a serving arrser advertising an event in his barracks a few months back. Might have just been a one off.

The early ufc was interesting as they wernt really mixed martial artists like they have now - it would be a contest between disciplines.
Some of the early fights were boring without time limits and referree stand-ups though.

Yes, that's true. You'd get a kickboxing champion against a triple karate black belt, or a jiu jitsu fighter taking on a guy who does something you'd never heard of. Most of them held national and world champion awards in what they did.

But nobody is gonna set foot in the cage with just judo, or just kickboxing skills these days, and expect to win against an opponent with both striking and grappling abilities.

Want to learn judo, shotokan karate, or tae kwon do? There's probably a club in your town you could join? Jiu jitsu, wing chun kung fu or wado-ryu katate, you may need to go a bit further to find a club. But where are you gonna learn penkak silat, praying mantis kung fu, SAFTA, hapkido, tang soo do or moo yea do? Good luck in learning that. You could probably be UK champion with just two bouts.

I can't stand all the 'hard man' shit that surrounds MMA. If it were treated like an actual sport, and not an exercise in male insecurity, it would be great.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thought this was about travel home... Wrong thread....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

What became of Arrses Sandy the Guvnor? He was partial to MMA
Am still here occasionally

Bisping will never be UFC champ as his chin aint good enough to hang with the big boys

The only one that has a chance of beating Velasquez is Daniel Cormier but seeing as they are best mates and training partners that fight will never happen

And yes Tate has a chance against Rousey, as how hard has she been training now she is a hollywood movie star

Am still here occasionally

Bisping will never be UFC champ as his chin aint good enough to hang with the big boys

The only one that has a chance of beating Velasquez is Daniel Cormier but seeing as they are best mates and training partners that fight will never happen

And yes Tate has a chance against Rousey, as how hard has she been training now she is a hollywood movie star
Understand courmier has gone down to light-heavy too.

Velazquez looks unstoppable at the moment. Dos ssntos had the bezt chance, but wss dominated in the kast two fights to the extent he might never be a top contender again.

Overeem has been a disapointment jn the ufc, whilst i feel my other top pic, travis browne, lacks the tools for velaquez (unless he keeps his distance, I could see him getting smoothered against the mat or the cage and pounded out)

Understand courmier has gone down to light-heavy too.

Velazquez looks unstoppable at the moment. Dos ssntos had the bezt chance, but wss dominated in the kast two fights to the extent he might never be a top contender again.

Overeem has been a disapointment jn the ufc, whilst i feel my other top pic, travis browne, lacks the tools for velaquez (unless he keeps his distance, I could see him getting smoothered against the mat or the cage and pounded out)

Travis Browne won't get passed Josh Barnett next weekend