MMA in the army?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Xoums, Aug 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there's boxing, judo, TKD and a few other traditional martial arts, what about MMA?
    Also is it possible for officers to compete at a regimental level in the former sports?
    Regards,

Xoums.

2. There is no reconised MMA in the Army as a Competition Sport, there is a ArmyNet page for the Army Martial Arts Association (AMAA) you could try asking the Chairman, as this regulary comes up, and to point out the interest would be a good thing.

3. MMA will never be an official Army sport

4. why? is that an official policy?

5. Mainly because it needs a national reconised governing body

6. I was speaking to a friend of mine who is currently serving as a PTI and he told me that MMA training techniques were being introduced in Army physical training programs because someone had deemed that soldiers were becoming "too soft"....I found that line of reasoning hard to believe, especially with the amount of operational experience and success that has been amassed and achieved in the last decade.
    To return to my original question, past RMAS can officers still boxe at a regimental level?

7. The techniques they are teaching on Combat PT are utter dogshit and people will get hurt if they try them in a real sceanario and yes officers can box at regimental level.

8. Yes. It keeps the morale of the Junior ranks up to see an Officer who fancies his chances get his head punched in by a 22 year old Lance Jack from Birkenhead.

9. can the same be said the other way round? ie: JO from Notsosoftshire out boxing Lance Jack from brickenhead?

10. OT, but I refer you to the George MacDonald Fraser story "Captain Errol"...

11. Sandy, what type of techniques are the teaching on Combat PT and what martial art are they based on?

12. Unless said officer happens to be Paddy Mayne in which case the plebs will get a proper shoeing

13. Bullshido.

14. Cluedo. ............

15. I would take a wild stab in the dark and say that combat PT techniques are either Aikido or JuJitsu (Classical) similar to those techniques that would be taught to doormen or possibly a few BJJ moves but can't see any of them being good in close quarters with weapons involved.