mma buisness insurance

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by welshneil28, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i was put on a duty over christmas leave and was informed that i would be able to put a claim in for mma for from my home address back to my unit then back to my home address. however when i put the claim in was told i would not be able to do so unless i had buisness insurance on my car.
    should i have been told this before hand and would i have been allowed a hire car or a travel warrent
    and does this buissness insurance count in this case as i traveled back the night before my duty.

2. The rules say that anyone claiming MMA must have business use insurance on their policy. I'm afraid ignorance of the rules is not a get out clause.

3. I assume the home address you are talking about is a leave address, not an address you normally commute to work daily from??

4. You can search previous threads for the detail, but in summary:

Insurance companies consider travel you are paid for by an employer (ie MMA) to be business travel;
    Therefore you need business cover to claim MMA;
    If the Army allow you to claim MMA without business cover you will be driving uninsured, a serious offence.

It's exactly the same for civvies.

5. Yes, when claiming PCR and ODR, not for Leave, a mis-interpretation of rules I do believe :scratch:

6. deleted - double post

7. WW,

You didn't answer the question but I assume you are at a leave address so the requirement business ins stands - you would be claiming PCR. This has been a requirement for as long as I can remember - you used to sign an annex from RAAC then the required certificate was added to the 1771 now you are required to sign a certificate again and can be asked to prodice a policy confirming you have the required cover. I won't go on as this subject has already been done to death more than once!

PW

8. WW,

You didn't answer the question but I assume you are at a leave address so the requirement business ins stands - you would be claiming PCR. This has been a requirement for as long as I can remember - you used to sign an annex from RAAC then the required certificate was added to the 1771 now you are required to sign a certificate again and can be asked to prodice a policy confirming you have the required cover. I won't go on as this subject has already been done to death more than once!

PW

9. Mis-read the original - Stressed out 2 day :evil:

twice

10. Does this also effect RPOD/RILOR?

11. my usual house is on the camp but as it was christmas leave i wasstaying with family

12. Does not affect RPOD/RILOR as long as your policy covers you for commuting to one place of work but still best to have it in case you end up doing a duty journey, even if you don't intend to submit a claim cos if you have an accident you will not be covered!!

Welsh,

It may be worth asking your ins company if they would have considered you covered for that journey as you were going to your normal place of work, although not from your normal residence, if they say you would have been covered get them to put it in writing, I assume your policy meets all the other criterea:

04.0617. Insurance Cover. It is the personal responsibility of a Service person using their private motor vehicle on an authorised duty journey to ensure that the vehicle insurance policy covers the risks set out below and is insured for business use and has the following minimum cover:

a. MMA at ODR. Service personnel using their private motor vehicle on duty journeys and claiming MMA at ODR must be insured with a financial limit of not less than £10M against claims in respect of:

(1) Damage or loss of the vehicle.

(2) Bodily injury to or death of third parties.

(3) Bodily injury to or death of any passenger.

(4) Damage to the property of third parties.

b. MMA at PCR. Service personnel using their private motor vehicle and claiming MMA at PCR must be insured with a financial limit of not less than £10M against claims in respect of 04.0617a(2) to (4).

Above is from JSP 752, if you get something in writing and your policy covers you as above as a minimum (most do) It may be worth asking your RAO to submit a case on your behalf, you never know your luck!!

13. It's only the Army that bother checking you have business insurance. If you're not insured, why do they care - you're the one in the cack if you have an accident - in your own car!

14. Duty of Care ...? Do try harder White Mafia and you may pass Cl2!