MMA - bit of self promotion

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by chally2, Jun 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys and gals,

This is a bit of promotion for a mate but he is running an MMA class in Edinburgh on a Sunday from 1400 - 1600 on a Sunday, open to all ages, abilities and sexes (there are splits there already).

The class is on a Sunday in Leith and is focused on getting people fighting fit and out of the habbit of jap-slapping. I take part in it and it has done wonders to my middle age spread. The new session will be opening up in early July.

Bonus is that we go to the pub after. PM me for more details.
  2. Classes in claiming Motor Mileage Allowance? Whatever next?
  3. Yep Legs. That's it exactly.....just claiming it very aggressivley.

Before anyone else jumps it it's Mixed Martial Arts.

4. Update:

The instructor is currently away on a stint in Wales.

At the moment the class size is 7-8 students per session. Cost is £16 pcm or £5 per lesson (forces discount).
    Styles covered are BJJ, Kickboxing and Krav (instructor is ex-doorstaff). All very effective.

5. MMA is excellent for both fitness and self-defence. You do not have to compete, just train regularly.

Highly recommended. :)
  6. Cant fault MMA, whatever happened to that awesome MMA thread we had that "someone" made?
  7. Still hanging around, I think. Just that nobody posted on it for a while! :D
  8. So who is the BJJ instructor ?????
  9. Do you practice BJJ as well Sandy, or do you train "pure" MMA?

I've heard some people say that, even for self-defence, it's no good training BJJ and Thai seperatly; you have to train MMA to get used to fighting at all ranges.

What's your opinion?
  10. Jarrod.
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

:clap: :worship:
  12. The BJJ instructor is also the guy who does Thai. The point being that neither is worth it on it's own and they must be combined to produce something effective - hence MMA.

PM me for deets about the senior instructor.

13. I disagree mate............ GSP is a good example of this. An absolutely phenomenal fighter, who trains separately in each discipline with different instructors. "Pure" MMA is bloody effective, but in my opinion is like being a jack of all trades and a master of none.

I know of an Edinburgh fighter just now, who is doing very well for himself and has recently left his MMA club, to train with different instructors. Im not 100%, but I believe he is currently training Muay Thai with one instructor and is about to train BJJ with another.

.............. and pass on my congrats to Johnny Martin - I heard he fought well at Cage Combat 10, in his victory over Kev MacKinnon. :wink:
  14. MMA is all about having variety in my book. You have to be able to adapt and use a range of techniques. You are right that MMA is like being a jack of all trades but it is a good example of harvesting the best of the rest for effectiveness.

15. A Thai BJ instructor?