Mlarrr, wah, and snick-ting... ARRSE English

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by sfub, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at Troppers thread on warm sunny days in Cardiff (as opposed to cold wet nights in Belfast) I noticed the "snick-ting" phrase, first seen in the Warriest War Story thread. What words do you find using in your everyday life that are confuse non-Arrsers?

No wah.....
  2. I've used the phrase 'Fire up the outrage bus' in work before, which was met by a lot of confused faces. I've also had to explain on more than one occasion what a Walt is.
  3. Dry bumming get a lot of funny looks
  4. Ally - it even confuses the fcuk outta me (which isn't hard I know) 'cos it sounds a bit gay and I never heard it in all my 22 years service.

Did it originate with the TA/RLC/RAF or something like that?...

Quis Separabit
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

NB; he was just asking about words, not deeds!
  6. It's a para thing - like scrimming your helmet and wearing a smock that hits your knees. Started istr in the middle east as a corruption of an Arabic phrase meaning in the shade, hence, an ally, or peaked beret. jack_daniels was the master of the flattest beret in brigade circa 1984-mid 90's! Very ally...
  7. "windmill" - to practise the noble art of drunken urban close quarter combat; "get some keys in both hands and start windmilling". Verb. Intransigent! You're having it!

Note - over the years the windmill has been proven to be not as effective as its practitioners think. This may explain its absence as a technique from MMA and UFC repertoires? It is probably a keystone of the Urwin method...
  8. And when the windmilling goes wrong, making like a swastika - i.e. run away!
  9. had to explain what a Charlie Charlie1 means, when I wanted to contact the whole team with one e-mail. Thick tw4ts, who hasn't heard of a CC1radio check?
  10. I'm unsure as to whether this thread is an extension to the Squaddie Dictionary thread, or if it is intended for words not even heard by squaddies outside of the realms of ARRSE. I've used the term 'windmilling' for donkies years, although it may be new to civvies.
  11. Agree with Captain Willard. In 18 years service (Initially in the same Regiment as CW) I never heard "ally" except on here. The equivalent was "warry".

When still in the CCF anyone who was overly warry was called a "Para". This was a pejorative term!

Other Arrse-isms which make me bang my head against the table are "bit dusty in here" & "Sandbags".
  12. At last I am enlightened! Cheers sfub...

(Still sounds a bit gay though.)

Quis Separabit
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum
  13. /Nerd head on
    A CC1 call is to a set grouping list - for instance all OCs on the BG net.
    An all stations call is to, well, all stations.
    /Nerd head off

I do find myself writing cnuts and fcukers by default in all electronic correspondence now having learnt to avoid the ARRSE swear-filter.

edited to add: and describing someone as "Johnny Two Sheds" instead of the usual "Johnny Two Sh1ts"
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Trouble with war'ry was that nobody knew how to spell it, which is not ally.....
  15. Indeedy!

As for the windmilling not being a pure squaddy word, I'm only aware of it in that context...stand as they say to be corrected.