Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MKV File Converter

Dennis48

War Hero
I've downloaded a couple of TV programmes onto a USB stick both MKV files but they will not play on my Sony Bravia tv. Have tried converting them to MP4 which has been successful but when I tried to play them on my TV it displays a message "Audio Format Not Supported", video is fine but no sound and I can't lip read. Any suggestions on how to cure this problem would be welcome?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Find out which versions your tv supports and convert them to that, also, if the video is working ok, try changing the audio format. From memory h. 264 works ok with most Sony tv's, you could always try the downmix to stereo option. VLC does a good job of transcoding using the pc version.

If you find that VLC is not your thing, Handbrake is another alternative. Comes with a wide selection of presets for lots of devices of varying standards. And once you find out what audio standards your TV supports, you can create a preset that exactly matches your device and store it for future use.

anglo

LE
MP4 doesn't support certain streams that MKV does. For instance, if you transcode MKV encoded with DTS audio to MP4 while maintaining the existing DTS codec, there will be problematic such as no audio after conversion (DTS is not officially supported in a mp4 container).

I use his,

Read this,

sunny james

War Hero
My old tv won't play anything except Mpeg files. If they are MP4 files I use Freemake version 2.3.4.2 to change to Mpeg (DVD quality as it's smaller) Get this version from Oldversion.com I use Handbrake to change MKV to mp4. Both software are free and will do batch conversion with subtitles. You can also control the file size/quality.

+1 from this C/S for Handbrake

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
If you find that VLC is not your thing, Handbrake is another alternative. Comes with a wide selection of presets for lots of devices of varying standards. And once you find out what audio standards your TV supports, you can create a preset that exactly matches your device and store it for future use.

Yes, I've used that before with good results - one of the better things to come out of France!
I was trying to remember the name of it earlier but as I was at work, events overtook my thought process...

I had an older Bravia (37EX403 I think). It was very picky about what it would play. I made a note of it, bear with me.

EDIT: Here we go. MP4 SD 480P, using iSkySoft iMedia Converter. I couldn't get ANY other format to work.

Used to have a Hoo Flung Dung, Crispy Flied Wasp & Toxic Toy TV. Cheapo portable. That POS would play ANYTHING.

Latest Threads