• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

MK5 assault boats.

Has anybody tried using these at sea? I used them years back on rivers. I imagine they wouldn't be up to much at sea being flat bottomed. I was wondering about one for inshore work in reasonable weather arond the West coast of Scotland, fishing and the like.

Any thoughts?

I once had to paddle one across Loch Ewe (long before the days of HSE considerations.....) and it was effing terrifying. Wind and waves would make it spin like a top, so it was next to impossible to steer, even though we were fairly competent at boat-handling. Lacked sufficient buoyancy, so after one particular wave filled us up, we ended up with about 3 inches of freeboard and in danger of sinking like a stone. Had to bail for our survival for the whole of the five hours it took for the wind to bring us close to the shore - we were lucky it wasn't an offshore wind.

ugly

LE
We used 1 in the surf at Blackpool with 2 johnson 40's still swamped an awful lot. If the sea is above force 3 I wouldnt bother, for about £1000 I'm sure you can but a better designed boat!

ugly

LE
snapper said:
EX_STAB said:
woody said:
your tired of life aren't you ?
Yeh, I didn't think they'd be up to it either....

Just checking!

Ever tried a Mk 1 Recce boat..... with a Johnson 40 ratchet strapped on the back??? .... its err 'interesting'.... just dont try turning quick
Gordon bennet they were designed for the seagull!

Hmm, the responses are much as I expected. I did try using a civvy lightweight flat bottom boat in a sea loch recently and it was a bit of a nightmare too.
I'll have a look at what else is available. Thanks for the contributions.

Cheers,

Ex STAB

been to sea in one off margate as part of a stab assualt pioneer course :cry:
not exactly sea worthy but did the job just. had the mickey taken by the RNLI " don' t worry lads wewillbe just over here if you need us
had life jackets on so could have always swum ashore.
I sure you could use one but then you could run a marathon in army issue green trainers but why would you want to ?
about as sea worthy as an inflatable dingy brought from a seaside shop with the problem that its made of steel
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fletcher-Spee...55QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1296QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ugly

LE
brighton hippy said:
been to sea in one off margate as part of a stab assualt pioneer course :cry:
not exactly sea worthy but did the job just. had the mickey taken by the RNLI " don' t worry lads wewillbe just over here if you need us
had life jackets on so could have always swum ashore.
I sure you could use one but then you could run a marathon in army issue green trainers but why would you want to ?
about as sea worthy as an inflatable dingy brought from a seaside shop with the problem that its made of steel
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fletcher-Spee...55QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1296QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That reminds me I did the Broadstairs Harbour show by driving one from Margate round to the harbour. I had one on board for the trip and picked up a half section of the rocks below the cliffs around the corner. Killed the speed but for a TA beach assault very funny! We were baling as much as firing on the way in and out and it was a calm day!

Could always use a Stolly .....Dvr got 1/2 across the channel but ran out of ful dont you know :applaud: or stop being tight and pay the ferry fare to Millport like eveyone else :numberone:

Edited for mong spelling

Latest Threads