MK5 assault boats.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Jan 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anybody tried using these at sea? I used them years back on rivers. I imagine they wouldn't be up to much at sea being flat bottomed. I was wondering about one for inshore work in reasonable weather arond the West coast of Scotland, fishing and the like.

Any thoughts?
  2. your tired of life aren't you ?
  3. Yeh, I didn't think they'd be up to it either....

Just checking!

4. Ever tried a Mk 1 Recce boat..... with a Johnson 40 ratchet strapped on the back??? .... its err 'interesting'.... just dont try turning quick
  5. I once had to paddle one across Loch Ewe (long before the days of HSE considerations.....) and it was effing terrifying. Wind and waves would make it spin like a top, so it was next to impossible to steer, even though we were fairly competent at boat-handling. Lacked sufficient buoyancy, so after one particular wave filled us up, we ended up with about 3 inches of freeboard and in danger of sinking like a stone. Had to bail for our survival for the whole of the five hours it took for the wind to bring us close to the shore - we were lucky it wasn't an offshore wind.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We used 1 in the surf at Blackpool with 2 johnson 40's still swamped an awful lot. If the sea is above force 3 I wouldnt bother, for about £1000 I'm sure you can but a better designed boat!
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Gordon bennet they were designed for the seagull!
  8. Hmm, the responses are much as I expected. I did try using a civvy lightweight flat bottom boat in a sea loch recently and it was a bit of a nightmare too.
    I'll have a look at what else is available. Thanks for the contributions.

Ex STAB
  9. been to sea in one off margate as part of a stab assualt pioneer course :cry:
    not exactly sea worthy but did the job just. had the mickey taken by the RNLI " don' t worry lads wewillbe just over here if you need us
    had life jackets on so could have always swum ashore.
    I sure you could use one but then you could run a marathon in army issue green trainers but why would you want to ?
    about as sea worthy as an inflatable dingy brought from a seaside shop with the problem that its made of steel
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That reminds me I did the Broadstairs Harbour show by driving one from Margate round to the harbour. I had one on board for the trip and picked up a half section of the rocks below the cliffs around the corner. Killed the speed but for a TA beach assault very funny! We were baling as much as firing on the way in and out and it was a calm day!
  11. If its the same one I'm thinking of they nose dive in a Force 4 or over unless you corkscrew the waves and throttle back. Useless shyte.
  12. Could always use a Stolly .....Dvr got 1/2 across the channel but ran out of ful dont you know :applaud: or stop being tight and pay the ferry fare to Millport like eveyone else :numberone:

Edited for mong spelling