MK2 - Any takers?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by DPM, Aug 25, 2005.

?
  1. None - I'm exempt/too senior

23.6%
  2. None - Eligible but not registered

14.5%
  3. Registered and had a look, but haven't had the inclination or time

30.9%
  4. Started the theory

14.5%
  5. PASSED Module 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. PASSED Module 2

5.5%
  7. PASSED the lot!

5.5%
  8. Finished the lot as required reading for this year's ICSC but haven't PASSED it

5.5%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

You've seen the hype, and it looks like it's here to stay, but I need a morale boost. Has anyone actually got a grip of MK2? That means, who's actually passed an exam...

2. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

91 views but only 2 votes - who the hell reads the officer's forum?

3. I am one of the lucky ones in the last bracket but I do not envy those of you who will have to take the exam. My 2 year old daughter could have made a better job of the proof reading

4. Just about to start, needless to say the computer isn't up to the job.

I note chicken jims commenst with some concern - oh well here goes..........

5. Can I cram it in the 2 days before I start ICSC?

6. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

I'm approaching the 100hr mark now, not incl downloads, revision or exams and am probably 1/2 to 2/3 through. Module C has been dummed down, or is at least easier than A and B.

All are interesting but they don't half take some time.

There has been some pretty patronising stuff, about the length of time it takes, published on the login screen like a. some people are taking notes (show me someone who's done it without notes and I'll show you someone who sat with the CD working on a laptop while he/she sat the exam), b. you're new to e-learning (but have a-levels and degrees in Computer Science (dweeeeeb)), c. something else that I can't remember because I'm skull fooked from trying to remember the ORBAT of a Div Sp Sqn and each personality's responsibilities.

The number of innaccuracies and errors in the lessons and tests/exams are amazing, but I still think that it's all a crock. People are only doing for ICSC, whereas the whole point is to do it prior to starting your SO3 staff job, which I'd be very surprised if more than 2% of Capts, if that, have done.

Too little, too late...

7. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

I'm approaching the 100hr mark now, not incl downloads, revision or exams and am probably 1/2 to 2/3 through. Module C has been dummed down, or is at least easier than A and B.

All are interesting but they don't half take some time.

There has been some pretty patronising stuff, about the length of time it takes, published on the login screen like a. some people are taking notes (show me someone who's done it without notes and I'll show you someone who sat with the CD working on a laptop while he/she sat the exam), b. you're new to e-learning (but have a-levels and degrees in Computer Science (dweeeeeb)), c. something else that I can't remember because I'm skull fooked from trying to remember the ORBAT of a Div Sp Sqn and each personality's responsibilities.

The number of innaccuracies and errors in the lessons and tests/exams are amazing, but I still think that it's all a crock. People are only doing it for ICSC, whereas the whole point is to do it prior to starting your SO3 staff job, which I'd be very surprised if more than 2% of Capts, if that, have done.

Too little, too late...

8. I'm planning to take Mod A test in a few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Personally I find the whole thing rather insulting - it seems to have been broken down into bite sized pieces to "keep our attention" but appears targeted at GCSE students or below, with the attention span and interest levels that that implies. It's practically impossible to get a feel for the subject matter while flitting between graphics, tasks, pop-ups etc.

Sad though it is I'm really quite interested in the subject matter and the Mod A subject area is bang on relevant to my current job (SO3 three-quarters of the way through - so this education is rather late as with most people!) I was therefore rather disappointed to find it useless. Worse, when I turned to some of the original reference material in search of coherent prose to read, I discovered that the MK2 course is riddled with errors too. I've compiled a list of almost 60 in Mod A alone (I admit some are rather finicky and could be seen as my personal preferences but most are genuine wrongness.) The compilation of this list and eventual submission (once I've passed to be on the safe side I guess) is now my main motivation to pick up the laptop.

I think that the real problem with the course is that it inspires apathy in otherwise motivated officers. I have a keen interest in my profession and I find the time to read BAR, BADTN, history, current affairs and even occasionally some doctrine. I'm currently in the middle of "Masters of War" by Michael Handel, which is an excellent and accessible study on the origins of strategic thought. Not blowing my trumpet but just saying that I expected to be motivated, interested and inspired to find 60 hrs to study MK2 easily. It is sad that on close inspection it is irrelevant, insultingly and inconveniently presented, dull and often wrong!

We are adults, why can we not be presented with a reading list and an exam, with a few practice papers to gauge the standard. I for one hate being spoon fed drivel via an obsolete laptop.

Rant over!

9. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Yep,

That just about sums it up, although there's plenty more faux pas to look forward to.

IPB is a G3 responsibility apparently.

10. Stockholm, fair points throughout, my reading of MK2is that it is a bit dull and disjointed. I am in the privileged position of being a mentor, so I have to read and understand it all and then try to 'add value!!'

Your point on reading lists and an exam would, unfortunately put us all back to square one. When I did AJD, we had a course with exams at the end, if successful, you were then eligible for promotion. This system served to separate people at Captain level and thus many left as they were unable to promote/ attend staff college. By study and learning you would probably have flourished under the old system.

You are one of the unfortunates who are in an SO3 appt studying a course designed to equip you to be an SO3! The rationale for the requirement is there are likely to be things in MK2 you need for ICSC and might not have picked up in your SO3 appt - this does not appear to be a very strong justification, but there you go.

As for personal motivation to study, you have clearly understood the need for professional study. Compare and contrast with other MK2 posts (not this forum) who appear to want to be promoted to Major without any need to understand the wider Army. If nothing else MK2 forces the dullards to clear a low hurdle of education before attending ICSC. I am not sure that your 'occasional reading of doctrine' is entirely healthy though!

11. Further on from earlier post, am not cracking on with the earlier parts. Don't want to appear pompous but it is patronising and an insult to the intelligence. For example draging a "stamp" to the sentence which best applies to the relevent MOD responsibility FFS! Professional study is fine. But (1) Professional and (2) Study NOT playing noddy games!

Yes there is a need to understand the wider army but FFS treat us like adults

12. I hope so, albeit my 2 days is now down to one!

13. I am reliably informed that a total of 8 people have passed the whole thing already.... b'stds - ruining the currency for the rest of us.

14. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Anyone noticed the new exam rules - specifically stressing that the tests are to be monitiored/watched by a field offr at a time and place of your CO's choosing. I wonder how many of the 30 odd that have passed would still do so...

15. I'm another in the "Can't we make it a bit more grown-up" camp. I have just finished the first bit, concluding with a bad cartoon of CJO using a DPM golf-bag marked JRRF. That, the lack of accuracy and the comments that we should all improve our study habits does get irritating after a while.