Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

MK1

wg100

War hero
Just received a CD with the MK1 learning package. All PDF files - so we get to ruin our eyesight reading a computer screen for 50 (?!) hours...

Lucky for me, one of the other officers in my Bn has the old MK1 pack, with actual hardcopy books - it all looks the same, so I'll be using that. I can see a few reasons why they've gone down the computer route - the hardcopy version is the size of two 5.56 ammo tins, and weighs about the same!
Cost cutting exercise I guess...

Just thinking that if there are those who have the old MK1 packs and want to get rid of them, then there are plenty of subbies out there who'll probably take them off your hands...

CGS said:
Moved to a more appropriate place than the Mess...

Don't want to get into a bun-fight CGS...

MK1 is taken by first-tour subbies before they attend JOTAC- I doubt, therefore, that this thread is particularly appropriate to either Staff College or Staff Officers.

:?

Captain_Crusty said:
CGS said:
Moved to a more appropriate place than the Mess...

Don't want to get into a bun-fight CGS...

MK1 is taken by first-tour subbies before they attend JOTAC- I doubt, therefore, that this thread is particularly appropriate to either Staff College or Staff Officers.

:?

I moved it to the Staff College (J & S) and Staff Officers due to the fact that it relates to the education of officers. This board handles posts related to all matters of officer training , rather than them having to be posted into the 'training wing' forum.

There is no such thing as Junior Staff College any more, (as you can see, the forum is still named J & S), and as the education system for officers has changed since this site was structured this way, therefore this remains the most appropriate place for it. I'll have a chat with the other Mods and see if the forum may not be better named.

Anyhow, I could have left it in the Mess, as I did for this thread (which is about officer promotion, rather than JOFAC!) but I decided to move it.

It was great fun trying to fit MK1 in whilst being a sqn 2ic preparing to go to BATUS - very easy to get the time away from Sqn matters to do some constructive study! I'm sure first tour subbies do have more time but I always thought it was best, at that stage, to learn what soldiering and soldiers were like before having to disappear in to the world of pens and paper. Now I'm working within the MOD without the benifit of any staff training (except the pearls of wisdom from my OC) I find myself wondering if the whole thing was a good idea. I think AJD would have been alot more useful. Being, I think, the first intake from RMAS on LTOS it was great to discover that nobody seemed to know which path we were required to follow. I'm sure I will find out if and when promotion comes round. In the mean time does anyone want to swap their Challenger 2 for a desk, 4 email accounts and a General?

Tankie, you want to swop a perfectly good desk and a General for a Challenger 2?

Sorry mate, my top trumps beat that. A Challenger 2 is worth at least 5 General's Pt 2 OJARS (and that must be a definite A- grade report to) and a free tube pass.

Still, MK1 is about learning your job in the wider sense. It is a good idea, although the method of deliverey has not been successful. Equip the Field Army with IT, some of which must be portable and ruggedised, then we can do these programmes.

Don't forget the London flat!

Bin the IT, the boxed set fits perfectly in to the Back bin! Who needs a lap top?

Tankie said:
Don't forget the London flat!

Bin the IT, the boxed set fits perfectly in to the Back bin! Who needs a lap top?

Nah, don't want to pay the council tax on a London flat.

I'll stay in BFG and play on Tanks. By the way the CD Rom case makes a perfect table wedge to stop it tipping.

who ever mentioned 50 hrs comes form the same planet as those furry green monster things!! the green monster things probably have more time planning and common sense than the said Col.
It is adding up to approx 120 hrs and you need to print out certain copies as they spread over several pages in flow diagram style.
see you at Jotac

Bits said:
MK1 will be available online through Armynet wef 1 Sep 05 (or so their website says!!!)
I hope it is not all pdf's like the cd version. Great to have the cd version online via armynet; however, I hope that MK1 on armynet is the same as that for MK2 - but then again that doesn't work via the intranet. Cluster by the authors of MK1 and MK2 me thinks!