Mk IV Blackboard

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Feb 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

What on earth was this for?

Description states:

A snip at £3500!

2. Looks a bit like some EOD kit we were playing about with in the eighties for heli borne teams.

however as it is dieso powered, it could be off an A/C carrier?

3. Aye, I remember seeing one of those being rigged for a lift by the airhead lads at R850 a few years back.

It was defiantely delivered by those strange lads who like cartoon bunnies and playing with bombs.

4. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

It was used by ATO teams that deployed by heli to certain areas such as South Armagh.

Two types (same chassis) with a different pallet on the back which could be winched on or off via ramps on the chassis. One was for the EOD kit and wheelbarrow, the other for ECM.

Chinook could carry one inside and the other underslung plus all the team members and support in one lift. Depending on heli available then various numbers of lifts were needed to deploy the ATO team. One advantage was being able to be dropped on railway lines and fit special wheels to run on the tracks, plus the inf guys loved it as all their heavy kit could catch a lift.

Early versions were 2 wheel drive with about a 4 hp diesel engine and I think the Mk IV was 4x4 with a slightly more powerful engine.

Hope that answers your query.

5. Yes, thanks for that GM. I must say I wondered about it carrying wheelbarrow from the description of ramps. Couldn't wheelbarrow go in the back of a landrover though?

6. As others have said, it was mainly employed in South Armagh so the L/R side of life was a no no. All air movement to the ICP.

I seem to remember they dont fly very well. One was dropped from a great height years ago and didn't bounce terribly well.

7. Well knock me down with a whatever, remember them but rather overpriced methinks, EX_STAB I take it your 'e still " on the look out "
    WW

8. Oh Aye!

For the benefit of everyone else, I've been looking for some wheelbarrow components to make a tracked wheelchair for a disabled shooting mate of mine. WW could benefit from one too.

All suggestions welcome.

9. What you trying to do??

Turn him into 'number fucking 5'??

[​IMG]

EX_STAB to be known as Steve Guttenberg from now on.

10. General Melchett

The ramps on the blackboard were used for both the equipment pallet and the WB. One side for the pallet and then flip them over to drive the WB off.

11. the blackboard is missing the pallet that is winched on the back. just behind the seat is a wire rope winch. the blackboard in the picture is an ecm varient - it has the camera mounted on the front so that it can be driven remotely (by fibre optic cable). it also has a camera mounted underneath to the rear.

12. Driving it remotely makes more sense. If it was just to cart wheelbarrow about after being deployed by heli I would have thought a Landrover could do the job.

13. General Melchett

Yes indeed. I never recall anyone actually using the camera. FO cable was normally knackered. Almost as scary as the remote TDI Defender FFS!

14. Unfortunately that makes it heavier than the EOD varient therefore slightly slower when doing blackboard racing around the HLS. however, a cup of benz in the diesel can drastically improve performance. as it goes they were pretty rubbish cross country, no real torque so it was quite easy to get them bogged in in S Armagh.

15. General Melchett

Did we serve together? Sounds like the japes we got up to at Bessbrook.