Mk 6 Helmet

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Cuchalain, Feb 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon all, I'm wondering if somone here on arrse can point me in the right direction. I'm a final year engineering student and have been given a coursework assignment to write a piece on an item of my choice constructed of a polymer material. As i'm going to Sandhurst in September I though it would be relavent to write about the standard issue British Army helmet.

I was hoping that somone could help me out with relevant technical specifications. I'm also interested in opinions on the said piece of kit, mostly from an engineering point of view, but all input is welcome. Any comparisons with equivalent foreign equipment would also be really useful.

If you require an ID of some sort before sending out info just send me a PM. All help is greatly appreciated
  2. It hurts more than a trifle bowl would if dropped on you from the same tree house hideout.

It carries more water than an Italian helmet

The chinstrap is modelled on a segment of Orange peel and cups the standard chin beautifully.

You can headbutt a kite marked British Double glazed window safely but expect minor but repairable damage to the cover.
  3. I've often pondered the question of:

"If I take a dump in it, will the owner notice before they put it on".

Other than that it's heavy, cold and I don't like wearing it.

Can you design an armoured Mong Hat?
  4. I've never had a problem with it, maybe I'm one of the few people who have a similar head to whoever designed it. ie a mong who likes having a cold head.

If you design a new one, make one that doesn't freeze when not in use.
  5. As it's in the public domain, I can point you in the direction of this:

They supply other armed forces and security services so you may drop lucky and get all the info you need from one place.

.....provided that they are willing and permitted to release that info...
  6. and also, when getting your webbing out of the car with your lid strapped to it so you don't forget, be careful when you swing said webbing up on one shoulder. I nearly knocked myself sparko doing that :lol:

7. Heavy, doesn't fit, pain in the arse to carry on webbing, uncomfortable, rubs on the bergen, sh*te chinstrap and the ballistic properties are a sack of cr@p.
    It's also only made of Nylon (or GRP, depending on who you speak to).
    You'll be sick of the sight of the thing by week ten of Sandhurst, so save your energy and pick a more interesting polymer like Kevlar.
  8. dont make a brew in it on,it dont like it
  9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

They are made by NP Aerospace, as are the 6a and the Para helmet. Don't expect much from them in terms of the composition/ballistic protection, as they will be pretty reluctant to give out the 'recipe'.
  10. the 'recipe' can be found on the Blue Peter web site ,along with alot of other 'secrets' how army stuff is made !
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I would suggest you do the US helmet. much more fun.

and, a word from the wise.

If you are bit army barmy, and the tutor is a bit, right on lefty. You might be better doing some subject that is a bit more right on, like, erm, the polymars used in wind farms or some shit.

Also, FWIW, choosing a mil piece of equipment you may brush up against security issues, which might, stop you being able to say what you want. Therefore, it might be wiser to choose something in the open like, say, wind farms...

just my two pennies worth.

Also, if the tutor is a skier - ski's! And the mil use them too!
  12. Easily done :lol: