mk 11 martini henry rifle and carbine valuation / regs.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by u_didnt_c_me_i_wasnt_ther, Aug 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. right troops, i recently found out that i am possibly inheriting a mk 11 1875 date stamped martini henry rifle and bayonet, all in good nick.
    plus a martini henry carbine, no info on that one at the mo. i had a quick look at the rifle and there are afew markings on them but didnt pay enough attention to be fair, the carbine was on the wall so didn't get to see it properly.
    the reason that i say possibly is that an elderly relative has them on the wall in his living room and is going into a home. i have been asked if i want them. too dam right. they would look nice above my fireplace.
    im after a valuation as i am due to renew my house insurance and was wondering if they need to be put on it. not interested in selling them.
    are there any regulations on the ownership of such items?

2. The regulations are if you are a Zulu, you can't have one !

RCGJ

3. About £600 each,

As long as you've had no serious convictions you can hold them under S58 of the 1968 act as "Antiques kept as a curiosity or ornament." No paperwork required. If you want to shoot them you will need a firearm certificate - which all good and decent Loyal subjects should have anyway!

4. them fuzzy wuzzies dont like it up em

5. Contact Weapons Collection in Warminster, they will be able to give you all the info you need and more.

6. I've a feeling the Martini Henry is classed as an obsolete calibre weapon and as such you can keep it without a licence.

Best make sure though!

7. I've already quoted act and section on this. :roll:

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ex_Stab is correct and even if you are a person banned from owning firearms due to previous convictions its almost impossible to stop you from owning these obsolete but fine rifles.
    Think twice before messing around with them, any cleaning must be light and sympathetic and I wouldnt worry about the value for the insurance unless you live in a caravan and they are worth more than everything else combined!