Mixed up dress

Does anyone have any recollection of mixed berets and cap badges - I remember para berets and scaly cap badges.... ? Then there was the coloured lanyard thing....

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
Does anyone have any recollection of mixed berets and cap badges - I remember para berets and scaly cap badges.... ? Then there was the coloured lanyard thing....
Oh. I thought this was going to be about Booties getting Bergans swapped on the flight into theatre and ending up with the wrong frock.

Never mind.

Monty, and subsequently his subordinate generals and staff were famous for all sorts of mixed dress. Flying jackets, multiple cap-badges on berets of regiments he never served in (he was Warwicks I seem to recall but famous for a Clanky Tanky capbadge....), cricket jumpers etc.

Medics do it a lot when attached - often see RAMC and QARANC (other AMS corps are available) on TOS etc.

My understanding is...

Anyone, regardless of capbadge, who serves in 16 Air Assault Brigade wears the maroon beret; from RLC chefs to parachute regiment soldiers and all manner of weird and wonderful infantry cap badge combinations in staff jobs I daresay.

Anyone who passed the All Arms Commando Course and is posted to 3 Commando Brigade wears the commando beret - this includes an artillery regiment, engineer regiments and their various REME, RLC, AGC, R Sigs etc. atts and dets

Anyone attached to another regiment, e.g. REME LAD of an infantry battalion or cavalry regiment would wear the beret of that regiment. So you might find RLC chefs with a hackle above their capbadge or REME types with their cap badge on a caubeen.

Mixed not the right word.

Everyone in 5AB/16AA wears the cherry beret. Para Regt for the most part, but there's Scalies (as you say), wedge, dropshorts, stackers, trogs, medics, REME, RADC, AGC(SPS) etc.

Even SAS-attached troops wear the sand beret. From first hand knowledge, the bloke driving the QM's truck is RLC attached, with sand beret and RLC badge.

Those attached to Jock & Irish regiments wear their fully diversified range of headgear, but with their own capbadge.

Even within some regiments you'll find differences - e.g. artillery regiments wearing maroon berets, commando berets, khaki berets, TOS & caubeens....

Other Arms pers attached to AAC, plus the RA's Model Aircraft Crashing Club, wear the Cambridge Blue beret of the Corps with their parent arm hat-badge. Even Meatbombs wear our hat.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
From memory, attached arms wear up to two items of uniform from the supported unit, at the whim of the Commander/CO, RSM and/or Regimental tradition. Eg. Beret with own unit cap badge plus supported unit rank slide, but, wear own cap badge TRF, stable belt ie AGC etc.

WALT

War Hero
Slightly off topic, but referring to those two Geordie WO2s above; back in my day, epaulettes were worn on the epaulettes. With them now worn on the front of the smock, what's to stop a WO2 from being confused with a major?

ETA - ask them to write a notice sign, and see who pulls out a ruler?

chimera

LE
Slightly off topic, but referring to those two Geordie WO2s above; back in my day, epaulettes were worn on the epaulettes. With them now worn on the front of the smock, what's to stop a WO2 from being confused with a major?

Size of the crown. WO2/SSM is much larger and more central.

Major:

th.jpg

SSM:

CRS04j-2.jpg

WO2 is a big crown, Major is a little crown.

Plus some regiments have officers with wire cap badges etc.

Even within some regiments you'll find differences - e.g. artillery regiments wearing maroon berets, commando berets, khaki berets, TOS & caubeens....

Badge over the right eye and beret sloping to the left? That must be rare.

And yes, I've checked that the image isn't reversed.

Toppet

War Hero
My understanding is...

Anyone, regardless of capbadge, who serves in 16 Air Assault Brigade wears the maroon beret
When I was with 16X, that was true with the exception of the RMP - they only let those that had passed P-Company wear the maroon lid.

Tuffty

War Hero
264 Sigs wore the Beige Beret only if they had passed the course. Those that had not passed the course wore R Sigs Berets. That has now changed with the formation of 18SR and all R Sig personnel wear Beige Berets, however those that have passed SFC Selection wear a black staple belt to show they are SFC, the remainder wear the R Sigs staple belt or a canvas belt if they are trying to bluff their way :)

ches

LE
I always thought that there was a 'wear any old shite with panache & style' bit of the Sandhurst syllabus.

From memory, attached arms wear up to two items of uniform from the supported unit, at the whim of the Commander/CO, RSM and/or Regimental tradition. Eg. Beret with own unit cap badge plus supported unit rank slide, but, wear own cap badge TRF, stable belt ie AGC etc.
That's pretty well as published ( I'm fairly sure in Clothing/Dress Regs)

However if you are PWRR Cpl with a VC you can wear three chevrons and a Sgt's sash and be designated a L/Sgt or Sgt.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
northern-matelot The Intelligence Cell 83
pinksniper Sick Jokes 5
Cuddles Gunners 18