Mixed football "illegal"?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by EX_STAB, Jun 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Talking to a female friend who plays football I asked whether there were any mixed teams.

She said it was "against the law" to have mixed games over the age of ten.

Can this be true? What business is it of Government to dictate what sports and pastimes that adults do or how they arrange their teams?

Anybody in the know?

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

It's not the against the 'law' it is against the 'laws' of the governing association.

Similar for Rugby.

S_R

3. Spookily enough I am just perving over Keira Knightley in Bend it Like Beckham - even at 17 she was fantastic!!

Should they play with men? Definitely but not on the pitch!!

4. Thanks, that explains it, :)

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

No probs,

You'll find the main issue is insurance, the easiest way to be insured is to be part of the association...so the 'laws' of the association limit you.

6. when i was coaching, i played a woman in our team in a local league. no problem whatsoever in that case. guess it's down to the regulating authority.

oh, and definitely mixed teams in table tennis.

7. I've just recently watched a mens team play a team of schoolgirls ...

... oh hold on, that was Germany against England. My mistake.

8. is that FIFA or UEFA making a law, its a effing game FFS, shows how moronic people get when in contact with the religion called the great game. Anyhow the england team has plenty of tits in it

9. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

It is down to the FA. Heard their spokesman talking about it on R5. Their thinking is that above around 10-12 yrs old if you had mixed teams (up to that age mixed teams are common) the best of the girls would join the local boys team and the worry there is the girls teams would fold as they would not have their best players. They want to build up the player base of girls so that it should a team lose one or two girls it means the local team does not fold. They are due to review it again in a few years. They also said that the physical aspect is less of an issue.

10. Fascinating. Sounds like the argument against academies - all the middle class parents will take their children out of the comprehensives.

11. My friend is by all accounts streets ahead of her team mates. She would be physically intimidated (on the pitch) by many men I would think but she's held back by playing with third rate (female) players.

I would think that at amateur level there should be no reason not to field mixed teams of adults, selection being on merit. If heavy tackling is a problem it should be dealt with by match officials.

That said I know nothing of football and have no interest in it as a game so maybe I'm wrong.

12. Possibly worried that the post match showers might not be finished in time for next weeks game. 8O