Mixed Dress??

#1
If you were the Gunner officer lucky enough to enjoy the hospitality of the Swallow hotel in Nairn last week, did you really think that it was appropriate to come to breakfast in trousers combat, boots and tee-shirt? The SMIG and your borther officer certainly didn't, as they were neatly turned out as they would be for breakfast in a mess. Not, in a mess for breakfast....

Is this further evidence of falling professional standards or should I have made allowances for the person in question being an air defender? Seriously though, poor do or what?
 
#2
Cuddles said:
If you were the Gunner officer lucky enough to enjoy the hospitality of the Swallow hotel in Nairn last week, did you really think that it was appropriate to come to breakfast in trousers combat, boots and tee-shirt? The SMIG and your borther officer certainly didn't, as they were neatly turned out as they would be for breakfast in a mess. Not, in a mess for breakfast....

Is this further evidence of falling professional standards or should I have made allowances for the person in question being an air defender? Seriously though, poor do or what?
The poor do is the fact that none of those correctly dressed pulled up the oik and sent him back to change!
 
#3
Capt_Cuddlebunny said:
Cuddles said:
If you were the Gunner officer lucky enough to enjoy the hospitality of the Swallow hotel in Nairn last week, did you really think that it was appropriate to come to breakfast in trousers combat, boots and tee-shirt? The SMIG and your borther officer certainly didn't, as they were neatly turned out as they would be for breakfast in a mess. Not, in a mess for breakfast....

Is this further evidence of falling professional standards or should I have made allowances for the person in question being an air defender? Seriously though, poor do or what?
The poor do is the fact that none of those correctly dressed pulled up the oik and sent him back to change!
I am hoping that the data provided whilst not imperilling persec or opsec will result in at the least a round of large drinks and a modification of dress standards in future. I didn't like to say anything at the time because after all the poor chap was on a major exercise and forced to bivouac in the hotel, which was obviously a trial and he didn't need retired colonels getting crusty on his ass!
 
#4
Cuddles said:
...and he didn't need retired colonels getting crusty on his ass!
Retired septic colonels? Honestly - on his ass - You've been watching too many war films. :eek:
 
#5
I'm sorry but you have lost me..too many war films?? Very well VC, for your edification "I did not wish to chastise the fellow as retired colonels becoming crusty over the breakfast things can be oh so tiresome."
 
#6
Far better - you can't crust and jive at the same time you know.
 
#7
Cuddles said:
If you were the Gunner officer lucky enough to enjoy the hospitality of the Swallow hotel in Nairn last week, did you really think that it was appropriate to come to breakfast in trousers combat, boots and tee-shirt? The SMIG and your borther officer certainly didn't, as they were neatly turned out as they would be for breakfast in a mess. Not, in a mess for breakfast....

Is this further evidence of falling professional standards or should I have made allowances for the person in question being an air defender? Seriously though, poor do or what?
Was this tee-shirt military pattern in any way? I.e. sqn, tp etc.
 
#8
It was olive green. Plain CS95 issue, unadorned by tour, unit or other identifying marks. Nevertheless it would not matter a fish's tit if it had been. "Dressed is dressed, Mr Cuddles. Sort it or show!"
 
#10
steptoe said:
Nothing wrong with crusty.. Standards are standards. What next turn up in his PJs?
That's not what you said whenever I inspected the bag-of-shite-tied-up-with-string which is your usual turn-out. Where've you been anyway, you old pikey?
 
#11
Cuddles said:
It was olive green. Plain CS95 issue, unadorned by tour, unit or other identifying marks. Nevertheless it would not matter a fish's tit if it had been. "Dressed is dressed, Mr Cuddles. Sort it or show!"
The only conclusion I can come up with is that this Gunnery chap thought CS95 didn't do his rippling muscles justice.
 
#12
Last week I ran the sport relief mile in mess kit (complete with marcella shirt and properly tied tie)and no 1 hat (it was 'fancy dress' and for charity etc) but wore trainers. Should I be shot at dawn?
 
#13
Not for your efforts on behalf of charity, but mess kit and no 1 hat? Yes. but make 10:00hrs.
 
#15
barbarasson said:
I was outside, so I believe wearing of hat was applicable??
Side hat is preferable and delightfully louche. Are you sure those were mess overalls you had on or comfy-fit stretchy Ron Hills?? As for trainers rather than Wellies or George boots...you should not be shot, you know however what you have to do Carruthers, we'll leave you know while you think things through...Good-bye.
 
#16
Having just stayed in a Swallow (should that be Gag?) hotel for the first time, I suspect that the Gunner fellah was merely trying to blend in with the other folk who frequent those doss holes!
 
#17
Blame the fecking CHBS system.

In the old days a chap would be expected to stay in the smartest hotels whilst carrying out the orders of Her Majesty. Nowadays you're entitled to a Travelodge / Kennel etc - whichever is the cheapest. Dress for any meal? As rickshaw points out, you would stand out a mile and be liable for verbal abuse at the very least.
 
#18
Storeman Norman said:
Blame the fecking CHBS system.In the old days a chap would be expected to stay in the smartest hotels whilst carrying out the orders of Her Majesty. Nowadays you're entitled to a Travelodge / Kennel etc - whichever is the cheapest. Dress for any meal? As rickshaw points out, you would stand out a mile and be liable for verbal abuse at the very least.
Indeed, the CHBS. I was amused, when I found my way through the stygian gloom and darting, E-crazed rug runners to the reception desk, to receive a booking in slip with £60 crossed out and £75 inked in - evidence of the startlingly good value for money the MOD's buying power has.........
.... it made the cracked sink, the smoke-scented room, the manky tiling, the paper thin walls seperating me from what seemed like an Olympian self abuse event and the traffic roaring past outside, all the more excellent.
Grumpy? Yes. Old? Yes. B'stard? Only when you know me. But seriously (folks), yet another example of how the Service is getting fecked over. Crap hotels? Okay, no biggy. Kit? Availability? Manning levels? (BTW, the only fully manned Inf Bn in British Army plc is the RGR.)TACOS? Ol' Rickshaw is smiling, he has a sunshine tour a few short weeks away and will be stepping out of the cirlce of hell that much of life has become, but that doesn't stop me raging against the machine on all our behalfs.
 
#19
I can rerassure the assembled Arrsers that the Swallow in Nairn is not a grot-house but a rather nice country-house hotel with a view over the firth. As for Blyth Spirit's comment, why yes...it was the GTT! How on earth did you guess that??????????????
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top