Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not like everyone on here called it weeks ago!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21240676

350 troops on the ground in Mali.

2. Wait until the press hear about 16 AA Bde being stood by for a deployment there in 3 weeks time.

3. I guess a few ex 16AAB guys have already dropped in with the 2EME REP!

4. It's all right Gents, it's a 'non combat' role.

Hope somebody makes sure AQIM know that our guys are out of play!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

As I said some weeks ago, welcome to your new OSM and a decades worth of UORs.

6. This isn't mission creep, it's a fig leaf. Most of the bodies involved aren't even going to Mali, they're off all around the area in general. The mission is to train the locals, which I'd bet money will mostly involve a version of Phase 1 training interspersed with motherhood statements about the rule of law and not slaughtering civilians. We wouldn't even be doing this were we not trying to cooperate more with France on defence.

It's also the shape of things to come post HERRICK, a few toys deployed by the Navy and RAF to stop them idling away and a very few soldiers doing something relatively safe on the periphery.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Why the F are we getting involved? Its an African Union affair. If the frogs want to get involved, thats their problem, it doesn't mean we have to.

8. 'No boots on the ground'
    'Boots on the ground but no combat'
    'Don't expect to fire a shot in anger'
    'Missions to support local forces'
    'No danger to UK forces'
    'Limited combat operations'
    'First British casualty'
    'Family informed'

'50th British casualty'
    'IED explosion'

Etc. etc...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 5
  9. Mr_Fingerz

Is that the same as "We will accomplish our mission without a shot being fired"?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm guessing it's at least partially a language issue. ECOWAS is hugely Anglophone and Brits can talk to Ghanaians and Nigerians far easier than les Grenouilles.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

Pedant mode on. What John Reid actually said was: "We would be perfectly happy to leave in three years time without firing one shot."

12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Mali produces alot of uranium. France uses alot of it to fuel its nuclear power stations. The UK is increasingly short of electricity and we import a substantial amount; from France.

Plus, it's nice to be chummy with our allies.

Plus, a handful of failing states in the Maghreb and Sahel do not a secure glacis for Europe make.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just a though like but give our history of being the junior partner in a French led affair, has anyone given any thought to routes to beaches in Senegal? Just that I've got a small boat charter soon and I'd like to know if it's worth loading any extra charts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr_Fingerz

I doff my cap, and raise two fingers, to your pedantry....

15. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

We should have quite good topographical info on Dakar .. we've been there before ..

• Like Like x 1