Mission Creep

It's all right Gents, it's a 'non combat' role.

Hope somebody makes sure AQIM know that our guys are out of play!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
As I said some weeks ago, welcome to your new OSM and a decades worth of UORs.

This isn't mission creep, it's a fig leaf. Most of the bodies involved aren't even going to Mali, they're off all around the area in general. The mission is to train the locals, which I'd bet money will mostly involve a version of Phase 1 training interspersed with motherhood statements about the rule of law and not slaughtering civilians. We wouldn't even be doing this were we not trying to cooperate more with France on defence.

It's also the shape of things to come post HERRICK, a few toys deployed by the Navy and RAF to stop them idling away and a very few soldiers doing something relatively safe on the periphery.

Why the F are we getting involved? Its an African Union affair. If the frogs want to get involved, thats their problem, it doesn't mean we have to.

'No boots on the ground'
'Boots on the ground but no combat'
'Don't expect to fire a shot in anger'
'Missions to support local forces'
'No danger to UK forces'
'Limited combat operations'
'First British casualty'
'Family informed'

'50th British casualty'
'IED explosion'

Etc. etc...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
It's all right Gents, it's a 'non combat' role.
Is that the same as "We will accomplish our mission without a shot being fired"?

Why the F are we getting involved? Its an African Union affair. If the frogs want to get involved, thats their problem, it doesn't mean we have to.
I'm guessing it's at least partially a language issue. ECOWAS is hugely Anglophone and Brits can talk to Ghanaians and Nigerians far easier than les Grenouilles.

Is that the same as "We will accomplish our mission without a shot being fired"?
Pedant mode on. What John Reid actually said was: "We would be perfectly happy to leave in three years time without firing one shot."

Mali produces alot of uranium. France uses alot of it to fuel its nuclear power stations. The UK is increasingly short of electricity and we import a substantial amount; from France.

Plus, it's nice to be chummy with our allies.

Plus, a handful of failing states in the Maghreb and Sahel do not a secure glacis for Europe make.

Just a though like but give our history of being the junior partner in a French led affair, has anyone given any thought to routes to beaches in Senegal? Just that I've got a small boat charter soon and I'd like to know if it's worth loading any extra charts.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Pedant mode on. What John Reid actually said was: "We would be perfectly happy to leave in three years time without firing one shot."
I doff my cap, and raise two fingers, to your pedantry....

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
We should have quite good topographical info on Dakar .. we've been there before ..

The Army, the media and the majority of posters on this site demand that we have a large Army, just in case we need to do stuff in a contingency. When we do stuff in a contingency the same folk come out to complain about mission creep and the pitfalls of doing so. If the default position is we shouldn't be getting involved in this (and I make no judgement of this particular case, but that has been the prevailing view on everything done over the last couple of years) then it strikes me that an Army of 82,000 (and corresponding figures for the RN and RAF) is very generous indeed. So, what are people after, large armed forces just for the sake of it, that should be sitting around doing nothing?

The Army, the media and the majority of posters on this site demand that we have a large Army, just in case we need to do stuff in a contingency. When we do stuff in a contingency the same folk come out to complain about mission creep and the pitfalls of doing so. If the default position is we shouldn't be getting involved in this (and I make no judgement of this particular case, but that has been the prevailing view on everything done over the last couple of years) then it strikes me that an Army of 82,000 (and corresponding figures for the RN and RAF) is very generous indeed. So, what are people after, large armed forces just for the sake of, it that should be sitting around doing nothing?

personally, i dont mind if we've got a reduced MoD budget, as long as we stop getting involved in wars we dont have to. we dont have to get involved here, hence my personal problem with it, but are you really suggesting that if our armed forces arent doing much we should just jump into the nearest civil war? what if there isnt one on at the time? retake Calais?

Can we not start with the muslim extremists in this country first?

And whilst were at it remove all religious ideology from any kind of policy or decision making in this country. People who believe in sky fairies have been given a mental illness by their parents and are not fit to influence the lives of others.

Latest Threads