Mission comd

Discussion in 'Officers' started by evilone, Aug 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does this exist, or is it like the unicorn and other mythical creatures?

Does anybody know wht it looks like?
    What does it feel like?
    Will it hurt when it happens?
  2. O ye of little faith.... ;)
  3. the Unicorn is mythical?
  4. ..and if we're going to be really naff, it's 'Msn Comd' or 'Mission Command'.

Don't worry Evilone - I know where my coat is! ;)
  5. Its "auftragstaktik" in my book sonny jim!
  6. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Nothing wrong with a good bit of Behfelstaktic.
  7. Fair enough, if you lack the imagination and discipline to act in line with your commander's spirit but need the letter of his intent as well!! 30-15...
  8. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

The real question is what does the Q in HQ stand for, as in Doctrine HQ?
  9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Sometimes there is not time to elaborate high comds intent, desired endstate, freedoms and constraints, etc. "Get in there and fu ck 'em" often suffices.
    (edit - accompanied by suitable hand gesture denoting objective and direction of assault of course).
  10. So something along the lines of 'H-Hour is now, fix bayonets and follow me'?
  11. You mean your OC didn't leave you instructions on how to run the place before he disappeared?
  12. I am still confuddled, does it exist and what should I look for?
  13. If it is not happening near you, you should perhaps ask your Boss why not. If you are in an environment of mutual respect, he/ she will not mind the question. It happens all the time and is part of how business gets done.

You might find that your Boss is using a more directive control approach because of perceived shortfalls in your ability/ understanding or because he/ she has not correctly set out the effect to be achieved.
  14. Top tip Evilone - don't start two threads on exactly the same subject then acknowledge advice given on one and still claim ignorance on the other. Same reply as the other thread below.

15. Johnny_Ludlow wrote:

1 Commander has to be willing to allow subordinate comds discretion to achieve the effect he has specified

2 Subordinate commander shows he can be trusted to achieve that effect
    3 Commander has to accept that mistakes can and will be made and use this as a learning experience not as grounds for crucifixion

4 Mutual Understanding and Trust developes between the two.Everyone,hopefully, feels empowered,gains in experience,enjoys greater job satisfaction and makes the Unit more professional and effective as a result.

5 The next Commander turns up,turns out to be a micromanaging ****-obsessive cnut and the whole thing goes down the tubes :evil:

(This reply is supplied twice for the benefit of those who post questions twice)Evilone! He truly is the Kwisatz Haderach