Mission comd

Does this exist, or is it like the unicorn and other mythical creatures?

Does anybody know wht it looks like?
What does it feel like?
Will it hurt when it happens?

the Unicorn is mythical?

Its "auftragstaktik" in my book sonny jim!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nothing wrong with a good bit of Behfelstaktic.

napier said:
Nothing wrong with a good bit of Behfelstaktic.
Fair enough, if you lack the imagination and discipline to act in line with your commander's spirit but need the letter of his intent as well!! 30-15...

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Darth_Doctrinus said:
..and if we're going to be really naff, it's 'Msn Comd' or 'Mission Command'.

Don't worry Evilone - I know where my coat is! ;)
The real question is what does the Q in HQ stand for, as in Doctrine HQ?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sometimes there is not time to elaborate high comds intent, desired endstate, freedoms and constraints, etc. "Get in there and fu ck 'em" often suffices.
(edit - accompanied by suitable hand gesture denoting objective and direction of assault of course).

napier said:
Sometimes there is not time to elaborate high comds intent, desired endstate, freedoms and constraints, etc. "Get in there and fu ck 'em" often suffices.
(edit - accompanied by suitable hand gesture denoting objective and direction of assault of course).
So something along the lines of 'H-Hour is now, fix bayonets and follow me'?

evilone said:
Does this exist, or is it like the unicorn and other mythical creatures?

Does anybody know wht it looks like?
What does it feel like?
Will it hurt when it happens?
You mean your OC didn't leave you instructions on how to run the place before he disappeared?

R

really?_fascinating

If it is not happening near you, you should perhaps ask your Boss why not. If you are in an environment of mutual respect, he/ she will not mind the question. It happens all the time and is part of how business gets done.

You might find that your Boss is using a more directive control approach because of perceived shortfalls in your ability/ understanding or because he/ she has not correctly set out the effect to be achieved.

evilone said:
I am still confuddled, does it exist and what should I look for?
Top tip Evilone - don't start two threads on exactly the same subject then acknowledge advice given on one and still claim ignorance on the other. Same reply as the other thread below.

You see Evilone, Mission Command is a two way process, that's why trust and mutual understanding are in the principles. I'm not saying it's all your fault but if your leader doesn't appear to feel able to exercise Mission Command when it comes to directing you perhaps you should take a look at what you're doing about it.

Mission Command provides a subordinate with a framework to work within. It's not a licence to do what you like without permission, only informing your commander what you have done after the fact. Communication is a very important part of Mission Command, constant communication where possible, not just delivery of orders followed by silence and a hope that everything is going OK. Communication is required in both directions if unity of effort is going to be achieved.

Take a scan at ADP Land Operations, Chapter 6.2, page 115-122.

Johnny_Ludlow wrote:
You see Evilone, Mission Command is a two way process, that's why trust and mutual understanding are in the principles. I'm not saying it's all your fault but if your leader doesn't appear to feel able to exercise Mission Command when it comes to directing you perhaps you should take a look at what you're doing about it.

1 Commander has to be willing to allow subordinate comds discretion to achieve the effect he has specified

2 Subordinate commander shows he can be trusted to achieve that effect
3 Commander has to accept that mistakes can and will be made and use this as a learning experience not as grounds for crucifixion

4 Mutual Understanding and Trust developes between the two.Everyone,hopefully, feels empowered,gains in experience,enjoys greater job satisfaction and makes the Unit more professional and effective as a result.

5 The next Commander turns up,turns out to be a micromanaging ****-obsessive cnut and the whole thing goes down the tubes :evil:

(This reply is supplied twice for the benefit of those who post questions twice)Evilone! He truly is the Kwisatz Haderach

Gravelbelly said:
galgenberg said:
Evilone! He truly is the Kwisatz Haderach
That joke been dune the rounds, has it :) Gom Jabbar for the subalterns, discuss
Gom Jabbar-the high-handed enemy; that specific poison needle tipped with meta-cyanide used by "poorly trained DS" in the death-alternative test of human awareness that is JOTAC(or whatever its name is this week). :twisted:

Darth_Doctrinus said:
In that case, given that the 'gom jabbar' kills only animals, are we suggesting that Evilone may be human? ;)
It could not be Evilone, and yet it was.
..There could only be one answer; this was a Tleilaxu ghola, a being reconstructed from the dead flesh of the original. That original had perished attempting JOTAC. This could only be a product of the axolotl tanks.
8O

To get back on topic, I was most amused to hear that "mission command" is one of CinC Land's themes this year.

What I hate is when a boss thinks he's given you mission command, when in fact he's just given you some vague pointers and b*llocks you when you turn out to be incapable of mind-reading. I've had two bosses like that and it's doing my head in. I even went to one of them and specifically asked to be told what his Main Effort was, so I could be sure I was supporting it, only to get another gobfull of vague platitudes.

IF