"Mission Accomplished" my Arrse.....

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
In what must be the first known example of someone channelling the spirit of someone (not quite) dead, our Dear Leader today:
David Cameron declares 'mission accomplished' in Afghanistan - Telegraph

"David Cameron has declared "mission accomplished" in Afghanistan a year before British combat troops are withdrawn from the country. The Prime Minister made the comments after flying into Afghanistan to visit British troops at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province. The claim came even as senior British military sources warned that Afghan insurgents are planning attacks to disrupt the country’s elections in April. British troops have been in Afghanistan since 2001, sustaining 446 fatalities in an operation meant to stabilise the country and leave it able to prevent the return of the extremist groups which used it as a base for terrorist attacks on the West. British troops will end their combat mission next year and have already withdrawn from many of their bases. "

So that presumably means that the whole of 2014, when HERRICK continues, will be pointless? We've already done enough?

I despair sometimes, I really do.

fecktard

War Hero
I bet the Taliban are giggling like ten men at that statement!

Cameron obviously does not live in the real world.

Well, as long as the 'mission' was to expend many lives and billions of pounds, in order to leave the place pretty much as big a shithole as before, one which the Talibs will be back in control of before you can say 'Allah', then he's right I suppose.

Alternatively, he's just another slimy politician lying through his teeth as usual.

I guess it all depends on what Cameron's definition on "mission" and "accomplished" is.

If his mission was to make us a laughing stock and fail in defeating the enemy then he's correct.

If by accomplished he means that we were going to leave before the job is done, then again, he's right.

...or he could admit publicly that the nation's Armed Forces failed in their task, leading to a further degradation of it's international reputation and our standing (such as it is) on the world stage.

Whether we succeeded or not (we didn't), I would question the value of long-term damage to our perceived capability against short-term kudos for merely being accurate.

I don't know, I've just come off night shift and my eyes are bleeding (I think).

"To me the absolute driving part of the mission is the basic level of security so that it doesn't become a haven for terror. That is the mission, that was the mission and I think we will have accomplished that mission and so our troops can be very proud of what they have done.”
Calm yourselves.

...or he could admit publicly that the nation's Armed Forces failed in their task, leading to a further degradation of it's international reputation and our standing (such as it is) on the world stage.

Whether we succeeded or not (we didn't), I would question the value of long-term damage to our perceived capability against short-term kudos for merely being accurate.
That of course assumes that anyone who matters actually believes him or gives a shit either way.

"The lives of your sons/daughters/husbands/wives/fathers/mothers have been pissed up against a wall made of rocks and camel dung just for the sake of it." While truthful, isn't terribly inspiring.

as much as i hate to say it, loathesome mummys boy that he is,other t**** dropped us in that shithole but will never be made to account for it.

Since when did operations in Helmand have anything to do with "terrorist attacks"? Oh, hang on....

F

fozzy

I saw this and the accompanying farting noise I heard was that made by his last shreds of credibility vanishing into a singularity of political arrogance.

Hubris built on the duty and sacrifice of others.

I don't know why this wound me up so much, but it did.

This will haunt him.

If he told the truth he'd be being attacked just as fiercely for pointing out that the Army has performed very badly in a pointless campaign started by the previous Government and that we've only stuck it out as long as we have to avoid upsetting our most influential and powerful ally.

It's also a pre-emptive shot to stop Very Senior Officers to stop trying to mission creep and extend ops for the sake of their careers. I mean, a politician trying to stop the pointless waste of soldier's lives - shocking indeed.

^^ A good point made by OOTS. Can you imagine the conversation Cameron had with Comd TFH?

CMD: "So, tell me what's going on."
Comd TFH: "Well PM, we've got this massive Op planned for the 5 month point. Straight up the middle, bags of smoke. We'll severley disrupt the enemy prior to the 2014 fighting season, and be home in time for tea and medals."
CMD: "No you f***ing haven't."

SOI

LE
The Mongols invaded twice, and tried to pacify Afghanistan by slaughtering the inhabitants, men, women and children by the tens of millions, they failed.

Yes but they didnt have the gatling gun and nukes ....

SOI

LE
"We're in the south to help and protect the Afghan people to reconstruct their economy and democracy. We would be perfectly happy to leave in three years time without firing one shot."

Defence Secretary John Reid , 23 April 2006

Latest Threads