Missing Walker Found - Ex Soldier

Could not see it anywhere so...

A guide on a survival weekend who had been missing overnight in the Brecon Beacons has been found alive.
Steve Walker, 34, was last seen on Monday lunchtime when was leading a group of four campers from Romford, London, near Pontneddfechan, Powys.

He had fallen into a river and hurt his leg after becoming separated from his group in bad weather.
As emergency services looked for him, he walked up to a BBC Wales news crew who were reporting on the search.

BBC News - Missing Steve Walker found on Brecon Beacon by BBC news crew

Anybody know him? I'm glad he turned up safe and well but the guy needs to buy some Civi walking gear before he heads out again.

Talk about 'Man at Q&M!' Also whats with the knee pads?

Q.

Wasn't there some Ray Mears or Bear Ghylls inspired bloke found dead in a bothy in Jocklandia earlier this year ?
Rings a bell, found with 3 t shirts, 4 pairs of socks, some cling film and a butter knife and had planned to live like Mr Grills for a year or something.

Only problem was he didn't have a full crew and access to 4 star hotels.

Can we assume the group he was "leading" made it out safely without his special survival skills? No mention of an ML ticket 'n the choice of personal kit suggests an embarrassing fail of a walty "SF training" nature.

He had fallen into a river and hurt his leg after becoming separated from his group in bad weather.
Hilarious. You couldn't make it up.

Would be interesting to see what qual's he's actually got and how he manages the insurance on these little 'hiking' trips?

..............The Brecon Beacons are notoriously dangerous, even for the most experienced walkers/hikers.

One minute the sun is shining & you can be right on the summit in T shirts, & the next, you're in a total pea souper with horizontal rain or snow hitting you at over a hundred miles an hour.
One wrong turn would be fatal.

There are memorials all over the place to those who have perished up there, from shepherds to SF.

A few years back, after lobbing into Sennybridge DZ, I took a full company from 272 Fallshirmjaeger over the P Coy route, from Talybont to the Storey Arms going over the Fan. In slow time of course.
We still ended up with a few injuries that needed to be carried.
The weather was howling & once we'd got them all down to the transport at the Storey Arms, they were in total respect of this little mountain.

I just wonder how many of the posters commenting on 'knee pads, walty sf kit' have actually been up there to experience it.

In all fairness, he was wearing better kit than the majority of civvies I see going up the motorway route with their brats wearing shorts t shirts & plimsoles

The fact is that the Beacons are dangerous & if you're going to walk around there, be prepared. Carry the right kit & equiptment.
Listen & take notice of the weather forecast, work your route out & have an emergency plan. Mobile phones work on the top of the hills, but hardly anywhere else!

Z

Zarathustra

Hilarious. You couldn't make it up.

Would be interesting to see what qual's he's actually got and how he manages the insurance on these little 'hiking' trips?
Why is it so hilarious that you couldn't even make it up?

It's not hard to get separated in bad weather, after all this was a group of civvies not a section on SCBC with set RVs and procedures for a split call sign.

As for slipping and hurting his leg whats so bad about that? I know plenty of switched on blokes who've come acropper on slippy rocks, branches, logs or what ever.

I was on an exercise with RMAS and in the space of about 3-4 hours we had a broken leg and a fractured hip, the leg was from someone slipping on an icy rock doing a company attack, the hip was a driver slipping whilst carrying a bergan to a SV.

Why is it so hilarious that you couldn't even make it up?

It's not hard to get separated in bad weather, after all this was a group of civvies not a section on SCBC with set RVs and procedures for a split call sign.

As for slipping and hurting his leg whats so bad about that? I know plenty of switched on blokes who've come acropper on slippy rocks, branches, logs or what ever.

I was on an exercise with RMAS and in the space of about 3-4 hours we had a broken leg and a fractured hip, the leg was from someone slipping on an icy rock doing a company attack, the hip was a driver slipping whilst carrying a bergan to a SV.
The 'hilarious' bit is that, on the face of it (He doesn't post up any ML quals, so I assume he's not properly qualified), an untrained person is leading a paying group into a notoriously difficult area to navigate in bad weather. He manages to get seperated from his group, injures himself and eventually stumbles out into the lap of a TV crew reporting on his disappearance. All the time his fee-paying group manage to find safety and alert the authorities.

I've done a few 'hikes' around the world and bimbled round a UEL course too, so unusual or not, I find it hilarious