Missing U.S nuclear attack sub found

Just saw on the tube that the US Navy put out a "Sub Sunk" notice earlier today because they lost communication with a nuclear attack sub for eight hours off the Florida coast.

Family of crew were apparently informed that their kin were missing--presumed dead -- before being told later that the sub had been found.

No link as of yet.

The submariners were probably just being snaggy....

The 'Skipper' of that Sub is in for a lot of questions by his CO., I'll bet! he might even lose his command over it.

Trip_Wire said:
The 'Skipper' of that Sub is in for a lot of questions by his CO., I'll bet! he might even lose his command over it.
What, again???

Devil_Dog said:
Just saw on the tube that the US Navy put out a "Sub Sunk" notice earlier today because they lost communication with a nuclear attack sub for eight hours off the Florida coast.

Family of crew were apparently informed that their kin were missing--presumed dead -- before being told later that the sub had been found.

No link as of yet.
Had to scramble our Subsunk chaps this AM. Turns out the US blokes are on a longer fuse...............
Luckily (for Telic sustainment, and the US sub) it was a false alarm.

I think I'll send them a bill.

Bubbles_Barker said:
Devil_Dog said:

No link as of yet.
Had to scramble our Subsunk chaps this AM. Turns out the US blokes are on a longer fuse...............
Luckily (for Telic sustainment, and the US sub) it was a false alarm.

I think I'll send them a bill.
Er, do you take Visa?

Water under the bridge now.

Makes an interesting, if not timely, statement on SLBM from last nights vote in the Commons, n'est pas?

Desk_Jockey said:
Water over the bridge, surely?

Anyone seen my coat?
No under the bridge. That's why the comms shorted out.

Playstation 3 has a lot to answer for (or they were watching Hunt for red october and forgot to ring home...)

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Should have done what the Canadians did and shopped at JollyJackTarSecondhandSubmersibles.com.

"Well, yeah, the bodywork needs a bit bodging, what do you expect with that mileage. Leaks? It'll shrink once it in the water dont you worry Guv"

It'd be funny except for the poor sod who died in the Chicoutimi fire.

Anybody want to buy a bridge?

"A family meeting was held today for 30 family members to explain what happened and to reassure them that the USS San Juan was operating as normal".

Yeah, that was my understanding of how submarines normally operate too. "Look, out there a submarine. :cyclopsani: Oh, no it just disapeared. :wtf: Oh, no, as you were. Its come back again :cheers: " Operating as designed, no?

In other news F18 slides off deck and swept up into the air...?

Just a rehearsal for when we might need to deploy Trident but don't want to let on that the Yanks will not support us if we did.
"Ah yes. The Iranian/Russian/North Korean missile got through because we had a comms problem. Like that sub back in March 2007 etc etc"

There is one problem with the US subs, if you look very carefully at the blunt end, near the screwy things that turn, there is a small label and on this label it says:

Dry clean only.