• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Missing the evidence... an innocent driver goes down <sad face>

Anyone watch that Fly on the wall TV programme the other night about traffic cops called...err..... 'Traffic Cops'?

Anyone? ....I know it's Channel 5 but it can't just be me....

They're an easy way to pass an hour or so flopped in front of the box watching our uniformed heroes from North Yorkshire having to deal with the dregs of society.

The Series is on catchup for the next year on My5 if you're interested.

It's Episode 3 though that has me a bit troubled and I don't know what to do about it - linky thing >>. My5

I'll precis the bit I'm on about from the link above. It starts at 7' 30" into the episode.

Traffic Constable Harrison is called to give chase to a stolen Audi A3. Cue blues and twos and a bit of excitement as he floors it. Most cars see him and slowly pull over. He gets on the motorway and guns it. 100mph+. He's going to catch the Audi...... ....until.... (8'30") ...he gets sideswiped by 'Scroat Number 1' (Anonymous White Van Man - AWVM).

Our intrepid Roads Policing Officer applies his super skills to keep his vehicle on the road despite this dangerous F**wit of a driver with his head in neutral turning into him. Car chase is over. He pulls AWVM and it's time for a roadside bollocking.

AWVM is apologetic but insists he pulled over from Lane 2 to Lane 3 because he was reacting to a silver car in Lane 1 that had pulled over in front of him to overtake an HGV and he had no option.

TC Harrison is just recovering from the RTC. HE didn't see any 'silver car' so what is AWVM on about? He must be on drugs....on drink....on his phone....he's making it up... But the van driver to me seemed genuine and insisted there was a sliver car there that pulled in front of him so he took avoiding action.... Traffic cop is not impressed.

"I'm in a highly marked police car..." (from the side or back really though isn't it) "I've got blue lights, two-tones..." (but in fairness you were coming up at 100mph and drivers don't look in the mirror constantly and if you have some music on loud you don't hear the two-tone on the motorway) "Mate I'll be honest with you I didn't see a silver car"

In fairness the traffic cop is prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt if there was something there, so checks the on-board camera footage on his 4" screen to see if there's a car that AWVM refers to. "If there's a car it would be unfair to take it any further if he's had to take evasive action like we have"

But nothing is seen... "pfff...I can't see another car....". AWVM is therefore a dangerous driver fantasising about mystery cars and is charged.

But watching on a 40" telly screen rather than a 4" on board camera I noticed a shadow travelling along in front of the white van... Could it be a car in the blind spot of the white van? Then in the slow-mo there's a flash of a silver car that's seen in the rear passenger side window of the rear facing camera (presumably the TV camera rather than police evidence camera). At precisely 8'40" the incident is shown again in slow-mo and there's an obvious silver car in Lane 1 that flashes past. The silver car was in the traffic cop's blind spot.

AWVM is done for Driving Without Due Care, has to attend a Driver Awareness Course, will have lost a day's pay as a painter and decorator or whatever he was, his insurance premium will have gone up, his van will be damaged, police pursuit vehicle damaged. And to cop it all this clip is shown at the start of each episode of traffic Cops as an example of Bad Driving... He's also probably thinking he's going mad as he's convinced he saw a silver car. Endless pi$$ taking on the building site every time Traffic Cops is on....

OK, hardly 'Crime of the Century' and the incident is over in a split second and at the end of the day nobody was hurt...but it's cost the bloke and he didn't look like he had a bean to scrape together and he seem to be entirely innocent.

I've contacted the RP officer involved but his response is "Unfortunately I am unable to discuss this case with you however should the driver depicted in this clip wish to make representations then he is able to do so."

What would you suggest I do? @BossHogg @wetsmonkey @Boumer or any other black rat. It's bad luck that the tradesman just happened to be a micro-second out of synch with the visibility splay for the patrol car's camera, otherwise the car in Lane 1 would have been seen and there would have been a different outcome. It's easier to see viewing the TV clip but the screen shots show the shadow in front of the van and then the rear facing camera rear passenger window with the motorway Armco in view, then the grey car blocks the view of the Armco before the white van comes into view close by.

Attachments

AWVM must have been aware that he was being filmed for a TV show, if he did not get all footage from the production company that is his problem.
If it bothers you that much, contact the production company and the relevant PCC to highlight this potential miscarriage of justice.

If it bothers you that much, contact the production company and the relevant PCC to highlight this potential miscarriage of justice.
PCC doesn't exist anymore. It's the Independent Office for Police Conduct now. It's hardly a conduct issue though. It's just an oversight of evidence. I may contact the production company but I'm hardly likely to find out the name or contact details of the fella involved am I..... perhaps a 'No Win No Fee' vulture might be interested in the compo angle.... nah... I'll contact The Sun... Driver looked liked a Sun reader...

PCC doesn't exist anymore.
Err... Q&A: Police and crime commissioners. Unless it's London or manchester where the elected Mayor has those responsibilities.
It's the Independent Office for Police Conduct now. It's hardly a conduct issue though. It's just an oversight of evidence. I may contact the production company but I'm hardly likely to find out the name or contact details of the fella involved am I.....
Maybe not, but the production company will be able to contact AWVM (They will have his details) and pass on your contact details, it's up to them if they do though.
perhaps a 'No Win No Fee' vulture might be interested in the compo angle.... nah... I'll contact The Sun... Driver looked liked a Sun reader...

I take offence at being linked to the Black Rats, or any other sort of helmet-related activity.
Fnar fnar! Anyway:

Anyone watch that Fly on the wall TV programme the other night about traffic cops called...err..... 'Traffic Cops'?

Anyone? ....I know it's Channel 5 but it can't just be me....

They're an easy way to pass an hour or so flopped in front of the box watching our uniformed heroes from North Yorkshire having to deal with the dregs of society.

The Series is on catchup for the next year on My5 if you're interested.

It's Episode 3 though that has me a bit troubled and I don't know what to do about it - linky thing >>. My5

I'll precis the bit I'm on about from the link above. It starts at 7' 30" into the episode.

Traffic Constable Harrison is called to give chase to a stolen Audi A3. Cue blues and twos and a bit of excitement as he floors it. Most cars see him and slowly pull over. He gets on the motorway and guns it. 100mph+. He's going to catch the Audi...... ....until.... (8'30") ...he gets sideswiped by 'Scroat Number 1' (Anonymous White Van Man - AWVM).

Our intrepid Roads Policing Officer applies his super skills to keep his vehicle on the road despite this dangerous F**wit of a driver with his head in neutral turning into him. Car chase is over. He pulls AWVM and it's time for a roadside bollocking.

AWVM is apologetic but insists he pulled over from Lane 2 to Lane 3 because he was reacting to a silver car in Lane 1 that had pulled over in front of him to overtake an HGV and he had no option.

TC Harrison is just recovering from the RTC. HE didn't see any 'silver car' so what is AWVM on about? He must be on drugs....on drink....on his phone....he's making it up... But the van driver to me seemed genuine and insisted there was a sliver car there that pulled in front of him so he took avoiding action.... Traffic cop is not impressed.

"I'm in a highly marked police car..." (from the side or back really though isn't it) "I've got blue lights, two-tones..." (but in fairness you were coming up at 100mph and drivers don't look in the mirror constantly and if you have some music on loud you don't hear the two-tone on the motorway) "Mate I'll be honest with you I didn't see a silver car"

In fairness the traffic cop is prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt if there was something there, so checks the on-board camera footage on his 4" screen to see if there's a car that AWVM refers to. "If there's a car it would be unfair to take it any further if he's had to take evasive action like we have"

But nothing is seen... "pfff...I can't see another car....". AWVM is therefore a dangerous driver fantasising about mystery cars and is charged.

But watching on a 40" telly screen rather than a 4" on board camera I noticed a shadow travelling along in front of the white van... Could it be a car in the blind spot of the white van? Then in the slow-mo there's a flash of a silver car that's seen in the rear passenger side window of the rear facing camera (presumably the TV camera rather than police evidence camera). At precisely 8'40" the incident is shown again in slow-mo and there's an obvious silver car in Lane 1 that flashes past. The silver car was in the traffic cop's blind spot.

AWVM is done for Driving Without Due Care, has to attend a Driver Awareness Course, will have lost a day's pay as a painter and decorator or whatever he was, his insurance premium will have gone up, his van will be damaged, police pursuit vehicle damaged. And to cop it all this clip is shown at the start of each episode of traffic Cops as an example of Bad Driving... He's also probably thinking he's going mad as he's convinced he saw a silver car. Endless pi$$ taking on the building site every time Traffic Cops is on....

OK, hardly 'Crime of the Century' and the incident is over in a split second and at the end of the day nobody was hurt...but it's cost the bloke and he didn't look like he had a bean to scrape together and he seem to be entirely innocent.

I've contacted the RP officer involved but his response is "Unfortunately I am unable to discuss this case with you however should the driver depicted in this clip wish to make representations then he is able to do so."

What would you suggest I do? @BossHogg @wetsmonkey @Boumer or any other black rat. It's bad luck that the tradesman just happened to be a micro-second out of synch with the visibility splay for the patrol car's camera, otherwise the car in Lane 1 would have been seen and there would have been a different outcome. It's easier to see viewing the TV clip but the screen shots show the shadow in front of the van and then the rear facing camera rear passenger window with the motorway Armco in view, then the grey car blocks the view of the Armco before the white van comes into view close by.
I assume he has the right to appeal? If so then honest mistakes can be corrected.

As an aside - what is the legality of third party allegations?

As an aside - what is the legality of third party allegations?
It's open source material being broadcast on the public airwaves for entertainment purposes,. What do you think?
It's also a nice little earner for N Yorks Roads Policing mind....

An honest mistake has been made by the police. But just leaving it to the driver to 'make representations' when he probably wouldn't want to watch a police programme that as far as he's concerned 'stitched him up' is sweeping it under the carpet and hoping it goes away from a police perspective. btw I've no axe to grind. I was in Roads Policing myself for a very brief moment, just not uniform. Civ Support Staff...lower than a PCSO in the pecking order... every now and then I got to make them tea if I was lucky.... the cuntstables...

My advice would be to tell AWwhateveritwas that dashcams are dirt cheap and that his right foot is there to operate two pedals, not just one.

Ditto, I'm not a copper, I'm a Highways traffic officer, not a police officer. ;)
.....your marked cars still make people slow down as they bomb up Lane 3 and see you ahead though.... back on the accelerator once they realise it's just a Highways England bod in a hi-vis.... :)

Didn't see the program but - I Don't see anything wrong with the "cop" - it's a fair one - driving without due care etc.
AWVM may have been trying to avoid an accident but he caused one by not being aware of the "phantom" cars closing speed on the HGV - should have seen what was coming checked his mirrors and pulled into lane 3 ONLY if it was clear - else should have slowed down to allow the "phantom" to pull out.