Missing Mr Bill Mclaren

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by greyfergie, Feb 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I appreciate that it was a slight cluster this afternoon in Italy when Jonathon Davies had to take over the commentry when his "Professional" went AWOL with a dicky stomach. [I thought he did a pretty good job though]. but God I still miss Mr "Leaping like a Salmon" Mclaren.................

I can't think of a single commentator that doesn't irritate... you?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Guscott = ******.

Moore = gobby ******.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Claire Balding is OK & she does research her stuff.

Gary Lineker should be hung by the balls & then have each limb cut off by a very blunt & rusty knife.
    A complete over paid, under par ****** of the highest order, allegedly.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bill McLaren was a one-off and it is a tad unfair to compare anyone with him.

Mind you, Eddie Butler is an annoying twat!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stuart Barnes although can be like Marmite for some.

6. Jonathan Davies. Nobody ever played as well, in either code, as Jonathan Davies.

According to Jonathan Davies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonathan Davies = TWAT

I quite enjoy Brian Moore, he calls it as he sees it

8. I think there might be a bit of tribalism here but I simply have to swop the names. Brian Moore is the most biased thing on the planet and because he's a solicitor he love using long words, often in an inappropiate context ~ he's worse than Hilda Ogden!

9. Agree on the first bit ~ they broke the mould.

And yes he is a twat, lives in my town and often tempted to runhim over and do the sport a favour. Enjoy a lot of his other "journalism" though ........

10. Stuart Hall's commentary touches me in a certain way.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  11. Love it!

12. The reason I OP'd was because I've discovered a minor channel called ESPN classic, which is free even if you don't subscribe to Sky sports ~ they've been showing old [and I mean OLD!] reruns of six and five nations matches with the great Mclaren commentating on quite a few of them. He was a master, but what amazed me was how un~biased he was. He was polite, respectful, complementary etc etc even if the team was beating his own, obvious, nation ~ a total gentleman.... Totally Un~biased which is the bit I hate about modern commentators [Moore and Butler being the worst!] ~ they simply can't help themselves...... Its just become so parochial and partisan theat the gentlemanlyness bit is sadly missing.

13. I like Moore & Butler's commentary even if at times they're so biased it's beyond absurd. Guscott I can't ******* stand. Davies while he waffles some shit is pretty harmless.

In hindsight I miss McLaren's style of commentary though some of his similes I'd audibly groan at.

14. I miss him too the galloping giraffe comments were ace! I realyy cannot stand Adrain Chiles, he needs his tongue ripped out and his face exchanged.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bill McLaren was very biased imho. Cliff Morgan was the best. I don't understand why they need 6 people at every match to state the bleedin' obvious. They seem to be biased towards Engerland even when not playing well or playing dirty. Ireland never or hardly ever gets a mention unless it's a negative comment. Need to shake em up like they have on Channel 4 racing where they have cut out alot of dead wood and at the end of racing there unsuccessful/successful bets are shown.