Missing Medal Help

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RustyH, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I just found this on www.burmastar.org.uk

My father Douglas Vincent Gilks, born in 1917 & brought up in India, joined the services and served with the 14 army in Burma during WW2. He was awarded numerous medals including the Burma Star and received a mentioned in dispatches. His military decorations was always something of much pride to him. My father and Mother have just died within days of each other over the new year. Being their next of kin and executor and whilst sorting their affairs something I found strange was that he didn’t have his medals in his possession. My father was 91 years old and suffered with the early signs of dementia. On investigation I found out (apparently) that he gave all his service medals, decorations & certificates to his “Postman” three years ago. He didn’t ever mention this to me. As long as I can remember from being a child he was always showing his medals at any opportunity, not only to me but to anybody that took an interest in his decorations and stories. Now after a lot of investigation I find he gave them all, unbeknownst to me, to his postman 3 years ago. This puts me in an embarrassing situation, the only relationship with the postman that I know of was one visit every working day, there is no receipt for this valuable gift, and how to I know this was actually his wish. I wonder how I stand legally, I would like to recover and keep his military decorations in the family. Can anyone advise me how I stand or put me in touch with a person or persons that can advise me how I stand legally in this matter. Can someone help please. Regards Dave.

I have no idea but thought someone on here would have,
  2. This is a tricky one...

The medals were legally the blokes dad's and he was free to do what he wanted with them, provided of course that he was not under legal protection at the time...

His best bet is to try and contact the Postman and explain the situation, stressing that he is upset not to have them, and that he felt his father was not of sound mind when he passed them over...

If this fails, he might try dropping a line to the Post Office, pointing out that postmen should not go around proffing stuff off old folk..

I think legally he is on pretty thin ground...
  3. I am sure there must e something in the Royal Mail's rule book about posties accepting gifts from members of the public. If you have proof positive that the medals were given to the postie and can identify him, I suggest you ask him for them back. If he refuses take it higher with the Royal Mail
  4. Not sure about Royal mail but most councils have a policy of only having to declare gifts over the value of £25. If you can prove the postie did receive them(by way of an admission would suffice I should think) and he's not willing to hand them back then check with RM with regards gift policy. I'm quite certain they are worth more than £25.