Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Missing in Action - Soviet Allied Prisoners of War

Watched a documentary on the History Channel related to the general subject of Missing in Action and was quite shocked to find out that a lot of American MIA from WW2, Korea and Vietnam may actually of been taken prisoner by Soviet Forces and held for political gain.

I did a little googling and found this page. In which it also suggests that some British Forces were also subjected to this. Can anyone provide any further information on the British prisoners taken? Were they ever released? What happened to those that remainded?

http://www.aiipowmia.com/gulag/jcsdgulag4062002.html

I read a very good book a few years back (damned if I can remember the name) about the actual amount of spyplanes shot down by the Russki's and Chinese during the Cold War.

There were allegations that survivors were packed off to Gulags, with sightings of them forwarded every few years, but none ever returned. The rumours circulating suggests they were shot in the seventies after they had outlived any political/int usefulness and to prevent embarrassment (to both sides the author suggests). It was all kept very quiet with families being told that their loved ones were killed in routine training accidents etc.

I don't immediately recall any British stories but it has been a few years (and a few gallons of Westons Vintage) since I read it. I do recall however that it had some interesting photos including one allegedly taken by the gun camera of a Mig as it laid into a 'Special' C-130 over Armenia.

CW

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

At least the Americans have made a thorough go of trying to trace their 1000's of men believed to have been incarcerated in Russia. I don't think we Brits have made any effort at all to find our people......

RIP to the lot of them; I guess all of them now lie in forgotten graves throughout the old Gulag.

I was digging a little deeper on the net and stumbled upon this website about the recovery of missing Russians. I haven't got a clue what the text says but some of the pictures are quite amazing, especially the recovered weapons.

http://po-73brigada.narod.ru/

KV1_2.jpg

025.jpg

13.jpg

024.jpg

042.jpg

71.jpg

85.jpg

90.jpg

10.jpg

slick said:
Have a read of two books by Nigel Cawthorne, all...well nearly all will be revealed.
The Iron Cage
The Bamboo Cage

I think someone needs to tell the seller of the Iron Cage that the RRP is 16 quid.... hard to justify £122.44 for a book, that is not even signed by the author, etc.

My interest is piqued however, this is something I have never really known of before.... Any good pointers for reading matter? or t'interweb?

Some of the stuff on that Russian site is pretty amazing - but I'd be buggered if I'd go near a 60 y.o. box of very rusty mortar bombs, or grenades, or shells, or anything similar for that matter. They are well-meaning, but oblivious to the risks from the pictures at least :)

dont wander too far on the russian web site(ie links),my anti virus e set nod 32,just gone into blitzgrieg mode and aborted all links,ran a scan ,all ok,but as said dont follow the links,and no,i never understood a word of it either except mg 34.

chocolate_frog said:
slick said:
Have a read of two books by Nigel Cawthorne, all...well nearly all will be revealed.
The Iron Cage
The Bamboo Cage

I think someone needs to tell the seller of the Iron Cage that the RRP is 16 quid.... hard to justify £122.44 for a book, that is not even signed by the author, etc.

My interest is piqued however, this is something I have never really known of before.... Any good pointers for reading matter? or t'interweb?

Abe books have sellers offering second hand copies at a lot less :wink:

Abe Books

Memories is wee bit hazy but did some Royals capture in Korea not choose to stay behind.

Sure some of them had worked in Jugoslavia alongside Tito's partisans :?

That Russian Site is pretty amazing.
When you think that they are still recovering stuff from WW1, Makes you wonder how long their EOD tasking is going to last.
I would not want to get within a country mile from some of that kit.
(Let alone that the area was mined,) (One of the photos shows a AP mine in a hollow, I would think planted rather than left.)
Those guys must have some pretty big ones. Or as mentioned, Are not taking the risks into account.
(I wish I could read Russian.)

Very interesting all the same.
Cheers
Gadge

Edited for spelling

Unfortunately, what used to be a battlefield archaeology hobby by enthusiasts and historians is now big business - grave sites are being dug up to make big bucks from the international militaria markets (eg German dog-tags, Iron crosses, etc). Although some of the remains are now being re-interred in cemeteries (I think the Germans are now paying for their war dead to be handed over), a lot of bones seem to be burned or chucked back in the holes once the goodies have been taken out....