Missing girl, Met officer arrested

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Doesn't that say a great deal about the quality of the workforce?
I think it says a great deal more about human nature. People have been doing stupid things due to curiosity ever since Ug picked up that lump of rock, and probably longer.

Doesn't make it right, but it's not exactly a shock that coppers wanted to know more than they were told about something very interesting to them.

I think it says a great deal more about human nature. People have been doing stupid things due to curiosity ever since Ug picked up that lump of rock, and probably longer.

Doesn't make it right, but it's not exactly a shock that coppers wanted to know more than they were told about something very interesting to them.

I agree, and it also indicates that the police take the matter seriously and discipline people for breaches. Something that probably didn’t happen a few decades ago.

Also concern that staff were looking up information to leak/sell to the press?

I don't disagree with the human nature aspect but that would apply only if there had not been numerous cases of people being disciplined/prosecuted for exactly this behaviour in the recent past.

Every time something like this happens it confirms there are a proportion of people in the workforce who are too bone stupid to be there.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't disagree with the human nature aspect but that would apply only if there had not been numerous cases of people being disciplined/prosecuted for exactly this behaviour in the recent past.

Every time something like this happens it confirms there are a proportion of people in the workforce who are too bone stupid to be there.
Welcome to the human race.

Chef

LE

Or that on the same principle that they may win the lottery.

Then they may be the one who doesn't get caught:

'It's not fair, it was only a quick look at...'

Or that on the same principle that they may win the lottery.
It doesn't work that way with computers and access logs
Then they may be the one who doesn't get caught:
It must be pretty much SOP in any major investigation to trawl the internal logs to see who has been accessing 'juicy' information to establish potential leaks and to see who is breaching security/privacy/data protection and the Computer Misuse Act.

As stated earlier- everything is auditable. On an avergae shift I probably access nearing a hundred crime reports / check people's details on local systems and run various PNC checks.
When something quite significant happens, and its likely to generate a lot of calls- a broadcast message will go around saying something like "any calls regarding xxxxx - master log is 1234 10/06" for example.
Upon seeing a message like that my first action would be to open that log and get a brief idea of what its about.
Whenever something happens that gets media attention, PSD start looking at who has accessed logs / details of those involved. A valid policing reason is required for me to access anything. I cannot for example check my own details on locals, check whether my neighbour has any markers on them, check our own car on pnc.

My guess it was a few people with access to local systems such as police station helpdesk staff or something - just checking the victim's name and seeing what else she'd ever been involved with.
There is also the chance the people being investigated did have a policing reason to check on some details.

It wasn't, but although in theory every system is actively monitored for non-compliance, it is not possible to easily achieve and people do get away it.
I don't disagree but these weren't random detections so either a scan was run to see who had accessed specific information or that information was flagged in order to generate a specific audit trail.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :cool:

Today's funky factoid...

Although taken as referring to Plato's Guardian class in "The Republic" the quote comes from Juvenals "Satires" and refers to not being able to rely on Eunuch guards to keep your wife from consorting with other men and getting banged like a big bass drum...

FEASG

LE
Perhaps some enlightened ARRSEr will be able to contribute, but as an ex-policeman in prison, would he be put in genpop or segregated for his own safety?

I can't imagine it would be a particularly easy time for him, no matter how long the sentence.
He would be a very lonely, person indeed. There was an Police Sgt done for raping a 14 year-old boy in HMP Winchester. They wouldn't even put him on the NONCE wing , as far as I know spent his whole time in the Hospital block.