Missing girl, Met officer arrested

Cousens to appeal his sentence, this in the Evening Standard,

Some lawyer screwing the taxpayer.

Hopefully any appeal will be dismissed out of hand.
Everyone has the right to submit an appeal and have it heard by a higher court. Its an essential system of checks and balances to ensure a fair system of justice when living in a democracy.

Cousens to appeal his sentence, this in the Evening Standard,

Some lawyer screwing the taxpayer.

Hopefully any appeal will be dismissed out of hand.

As he pled guilty - Appeal booted into touch as soon as it makes an appearance

If some ambulance chasing, scumbag of a lawyer tries screwing the taxpayer - Send him direct to join Cousens.

Everyone has the right to submit an appeal and have it heard by a higher court. Its an essential system of checks and balances to ensure a fair system of justice when living in a democracy.

All true. Which does not justify inflicting even more emotional trauma on Everad's family by appealing a sentence that was absolutely correct both legally and morally.

Lord Justice Fulford is one of the most senior Judges in the country, and Vice-President of the Court of Appeal(Criminal Division). He justified his decision to award a Whole Life Tarif on the grounds that Couzen's using his position as a police officer to abduct Sarah, "was the vital factor which in my view makes the seriousness of this case so exceptionally high". It's highly unlikely a Judge of Fulford's experience and knowledge of the appeals system would have passed the sentence in the first place had he thought there were strong grounds to appeal it.

Couzen's doesn't care because he has nothing to lose. And it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a perverse satisfaction from knowing he will be forcing open the wounds he inflicted on Sarah Everad's family before they even have a chance to heal. His brief doesn't care because they're getting paid. Hopefully, sanity will prevail and the final judgement will, stripped of legal terminology, boil down to,

"You're client is a cnut of the highest order and he will die in jail. Now, stopping wasting the Court's precious time. Fornicate thyself away".

Some commented, here included, that his early guilty plea was an 'early release' game plan, as a copper he must have had some idea of the system. Biggest threat to him not leaving jail feet first is political, rag bag lefties want to abolish whole life, no doubt assisted by ECHR in due course.

He's appealing the sentence, not the verdict.

Would he be appealing the sentence if it was changed to hanging if he lost the appeal, or if he had to stump up the cash for the appeal out of his own sky-rocket instead of the taxpayers pocket ?

If the answer, in either case, is no - Then his appeal paperwork can go straight in file 13.

Some people deserve no rights - This c**t is one of those people.

As he pled guilty - Appeal booted into touch as soon as it makes an appearance

If some ambulance chasing, scumbag of a lawyer tries screwing the taxpayer - Send him direct to join Cousens.

Change the sentence from whole life to a minimum of 60 years.

Release beckons in 2081. Enjoy.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Some commented, here included, that his early guilty plea was an 'early release' game plan, as a copper he must have had some idea of the system. Biggest threat to him not leaving jail feet first is political, rag bag lefties want to abolish whole life, no doubt assisted by ECHR in due course.
I'm not convinced his guilty plea was that early. From what I've read, Couzens seems to have followed the maxim of 'admit what you can't deny' only when it was made clear that the forensic evidence, CCTV, dashcam and other evidence was irrefutable. Fulford LJ made clear that the guilty plea would avail Couzens nothing. I doubt Couzens himself had much Court experience and I'd suggest his solicitor would have advised on the guilty plea once it became clear that a not-guilty plea would have no chance of success.

In all my career I only met one defence solicitor who would have defended Satan himself and enjoyed every minute. He was a thoroughly unpleasant person and I was not alone in experiencing a certain Schadenfreude when it was reported he'd been struck off. Most defence solicitors are decent professionals who take their responsibilities as Officers of the Court seriously. In Couzens' case, it's likely his representation was appointed by the Court and funded by Legal Aid. Contrary to what the popular press would have you believe, Legal Aid is not a bottomless pocket of cash, and further funding post conviction is limited.

For what it's worth, I doubt leave to appeal will be granted. As @Werewolf eloquently says above, this is not Fulford LJ's first rodeo.

I'm not convinced his guilty plea was that early. From what I've read, Couzens seems to have followed the maxim of 'admit what you can't deny' only when it was made clear that the forensic evidence, CCTV, dashcam and other evidence was irrefutable. Fulford LJ made clear that the guilty plea would avail Couzens nothing. I doubt Couzens himself had much Court experience and I'd suggest his solicitor would have advised on the guilty plea once it became clear that a not-guilty plea would have no chance of success.

In all my career I only met one defence solicitor who would have defended Satan himself and enjoyed every minute. He was a thoroughly unpleasant person and I was not alone in experiencing a certain Schadenfreude when it was reported he'd been struck off. Most defence solicitors are decent professionals who take their responsibilities as Officers of the Court seriously. In Couzens' case, it's likely his representation was appointed by the Court and funded by Legal Aid. Contrary to what the popular press would have you believe, Legal Aid is not a bottomless pocket of cash, and further funding post conviction is limited.

For what it's worth, I doubt leave to appeal will be granted. As @Werewolf eloquently says above, this is not Fulford LJ's first rodeo.

Indeed. When first arrested, Couzen's admitted he had abducted Sarah, but claimed he had handed her over alive to an Eastern European OCG. His initial story was they had threatened him because he owed them money and they had demanded he kidnap a young woman who they could sell into sexual slavery.

It was only after her realised that no one was buying his pathetic, Taken-style fantasy that he finally came clean. As others have said, almost certainly on the advice of his brief that it was the only way he could hope to avoid a WLT.

Gets worse for the Met's rep...

Two Met Police officers who took and shared photographs of two murdered sisters they called 'dead birds' were sacked today at a police tribunal.

PC Jamie Lewis, 33, made the appalling WhatsApp comment as he and PC Deniz Jaffer, 47, were meant to be keeping the cordon protecting Nicole Smallman and Bibaa Henry's bodies secure.

Jaffer also took to the social media messaging app to declare 'I'm here now I'll try to take pictures of the dead birds', a police misconduct panel heard.

PC Jaffer and Lewis were supposed to protect the scene after the sisters were found stabbed to death in Fryent Country Park in Wembley, north-west London.

But instead, they breached the cordon to take 'inappropriate' and 'unauthorised' photographs of the bodies, which were then sent 'to a dentist and doctor', and a WhatsApp group.

Jaffer took four photographs and Lewis took two - one of which was sent to a female colleague with Lewis's face superimposed onto it.

Police watchdog the IOPC later revealed Lewis also used 'degrading and sexist language' to describe the victims in the WhatsApp team group of 42 colleagues.

Gets worse for the Met's rep...

Two Met Police officers who took and shared photographs of two murdered sisters they called 'dead birds' were sacked today at a police tribunal.

PC Jamie Lewis, 33, made the appalling WhatsApp comment as he and PC Deniz Jaffer, 47, were meant to be keeping the cordon protecting Nicole Smallman and Bibaa Henry's bodies secure.

Jaffer also took to the social media messaging app to declare 'I'm here now I'll try to take pictures of the dead birds', a police misconduct panel heard.

PC Jaffer and Lewis were supposed to protect the scene after the sisters were found stabbed to death in Fryent Country Park in Wembley, north-west London.

But instead, they breached the cordon to take 'inappropriate' and 'unauthorised' photographs of the bodies, which were then sent 'to a dentist and doctor', and a WhatsApp group.

Jaffer took four photographs and Lewis took two - one of which was sent to a female colleague with Lewis's face superimposed onto it.

Police watchdog the IOPC later revealed Lewis also used 'degrading and sexist language' to describe the victims in the WhatsApp team group of 42 colleagues.

Prison for this pair in a couple of weeks, and I hope for a very long while.

Disgusting scum, the pair of them. may they rot in hell.

Another one - Dick of the Yard was on the case no doubt?

And an update on another Met Officer.

Not yet making the 'main' headlines yet, probably due to a recent incident off the French coast that I am guilty of probably.

Latest Threads