Missing girl, Met officer arrested

Don't know if posted anywhere else on Arrse but I think relevant.

Is this a new phenomenon or a common (ish) event(s) I wonder?

TamH70

MIA

Still Game! kiddy-on cop Walts!

Oi, Winston, sort them out!

Probably more than a few sh1t-bags who, when the details of how Couzen's abducted Sarah came out, thought it was something they'd like to try themselves.

This will almost certainly lead to genuine coppers getting leathered. Either because someone actually does believe it's an abduction or, more likely, because anyone who wants to attack a copper now has an excuse.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
You hear about this in the news from time to time, given how big the DNA database is are these just flagged up as a match whenever new DNA is introduced or does it take someone actually reviewing cold case files to make it happen?
Reviewing cold case files is how it works. About 10 years ago, Lincolnshire Police were quietly advertising for ex-detectives to join their cold case unit. I applied but didn't make the cut. Despite my extensive investigative (motor) fraud background, knowledge of RIPA, recent successes in court and a recommendation from a serving Det. Ch. Supt, they were looking for somebody with more up to date connections with the Police. (I had been out for 20 years at that point, so I surmised that modern Police procedures are playing a big part of the investigative process.)

Shame really, I would have loved that job.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Reviewing cold case files is how it works. About 10 years ago, Lincolnshire Police were quietly advertising for ex-detectives to join their cold case unit. I applied but didn't make the cut. Despite my extensive investigative (motor) fraud background, knowledge of RIPA, recent successes in court and a recommendation from a serving Det. Ch. Supt, they were looking for somebody with more up to date connections with the Police. (I had been out for 20 years at that point, so I surmised that modern Police procedures are playing a big part of the investigative process.)

Shame really, I would have loved that job.

which one were you going to be?
(did you write the theme tune, etc?)

1634389357986.jpeg

Quite common. Especially fleecing tourists in central London. A few years ago their were gangs posing as plain cloths police to enter rich houses. Also you get the walts dressing in police unifown doing traffic stops and such like.

tgo

LE
Quite common. Especially fleecing tourists in central London. A few years ago their were gangs posing as plain cloths police to enter rich houses. Also you get the walts dressing in police unifown doing traffic stops and such like.
I get that, I find it a bit weird with all the publicity around it, that anyone would be quite stupid enough to attempt it at this time though.

And switch it round: two female officers responding and one or both get hurt? Imagine the furore. Dale Creegan springs to mind.

The force is in a no-win situation in terms of the media and 'equality champions'.

There shouldn't be any more or less furore generated than one or both male officers getting hurt in such a situation in the interests of applying equality consistently. I would be curious to see should such a scenario occur if there would be an outcry in part because of an absence of males.

TamH70

MIA
There shouldn't be any more or less furore generated than one or both male officers getting hurt in such a situation in the interests of applying equality consistently. I would be curious to see should such a scenario occur if there would be an outcry in part because of an absence of males.

Equality works only one way - it's defined as however the moonhowlers on the Left want it.

Equality works only one way - it's defined as however the moonhowlers on the Left want it.

Yea I 'get' that's a perception held among the many cynical among us.

I'm not advocating for the injuries of a couple of female police officers simply to 'prove a point' or 'conduct a thought experiment', though rather genuinely curious to see if there are legitimate individuals or agencies that would actually attempt such mental gymnastics should such a scenario occur.

More on this with news that members of Couzens' warped (allegedly) Whattsapp group face action,

IMHO. it must be hard to further undermine public confidence in the police when it is at rock-bottom already.

Again, why has not the useless Dick of the Yard not been removed from her role?.

IMHO. it must be hard to further undermine public confidence in the police when it is at rock-bottom already.
So people are not going to dial 999 when their is a burglar in house or they they are being attacked in the street then?
Again, why has not the useless Dick of the Yard not been removed from her role?.
Because any one taking her job is going to have the same systems in place with the same problems. She is no better or worse than the last five commissioners who preceeded her. Its a political problem as much as anything else, but politicians are too afraid to tackle it. The party of law and order has done its upmost to undermine the police for the last thirty years.

So people are not going to dial 999 when their is a burglar in house or they they are being attacked in the street then?

Because any one taking her job is going to have the same systems in place with the same problems. She is no better or worse than the last five commissioners who preceeded her. Its a political problem as much as anything else, but politicians are too afraid to tackle it. The party of law and order has done its upmost to undermine the police for the last thirty years.

Well, in answer to your first quote the reaction time of the police to a 999 call in London is likely to be so slow as to render that option to be of little use. Cuts to the police by successive governments are the cause of this. Crime in London is fast going out of control.

One thing that has become crystal clear as a result of the Sarah Everard case is the police have a number of issues concerning the the quality of the officers in their own ranks. This I find most shocking. The fact Couzens was an armed officer, and his reputation was well-known within the ranks of elements of the police is totally appalling. The fact Couzens was known as The Rapist was even reported on the hallowed threads of this very site.

As to your second quote, you are not wrong. Successive governments starting with Blair and continuing until at least May have sought to undermine the police, and there appears to be an agenda at work, here. Dick appears to me to be part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

Last edited:

Aphra

War Hero
Cousens to appeal his sentence, this in the Evening Standard,

Some lawyer screwing the taxpayer.

Hopefully any appeal will be dismissed out of hand.
Just to clarify, he's seeking leave to appeal and if that's refused, there's no appeal. Couzens' early guilty plea would, in other circumstances, have attracted a discount on his sentence but the judge made it clear that the aggravating factor of Couzens using his position as a police officer to facilitate his crimes effectively negated any discount.

As to Couzens' lawyers, they are officers of the Court and as such must provide the best defence they are able to mount. The legal system we are fortunate to have guarantees representation by a competent person and any failure on the part of a defence lawyer can be grounds for appeal. The guarantee of representation regardless of means is narrow these days, with Legal Aid cut to the bone, but yes, it's likely that Couzens' defence is publicly funded.

I read Fulford LJ's sentencing remarks and I couldn't see that there was any error of law, nor that the sentence, although exceptional, was not appropriate given all the circumstances. It remains to be seen whether leave to appeal will be given but if it is, I'd expect a robust argument as to why his sentence should be reduced. I can't see any argument in what I've read of the trial transcript but that's not to say others can't.

As frustrating as it seems, we should be glad that our justice system allows for the possibility of error and has a process via which these can be rectified. If I were ever convicted of a crime I had not committed, I would rather be in the English justice system than any other, anywhere that I know of. It's not perfect but it is, IMHO, the best in the world; that's why so many other nations have copied it or retained it post-colonial times.

Everyone has the right to submit an appeal and have it heard by a higher court. Its an essential system of checks and balances to ensure a fair system of justice when living in a democracy.

As he pled guilty - Appeal booted into touch as soon as it makes an appearance

If some ambulance chasing, scumbag of a lawyer tries screwing the taxpayer - Send him direct to join Cousens.

Everyone has the right to submit an appeal and have it heard by a higher court. Its an essential system of checks and balances to ensure a fair system of justice when living in a democracy.

All true. Which does not justify inflicting even more emotional trauma on Everad's family by appealing a sentence that was absolutely correct both legally and morally.

Lord Justice Fulford is one of the most senior Judges in the country, and Vice-President of the Court of Appeal(Criminal Division). He justified his decision to award a Whole Life Tarif on the grounds that Couzen's using his position as a police officer to abduct Sarah, "was the vital factor which in my view makes the seriousness of this case so exceptionally high". It's highly unlikely a Judge of Fulford's experience and knowledge of the appeals system would have passed the sentence in the first place had he thought there were strong grounds to appeal it.

Couzen's doesn't care because he has nothing to lose. And it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a perverse satisfaction from knowing he will be forcing open the wounds he inflicted on Sarah Everad's family before they even have a chance to heal. His brief doesn't care because they're getting paid. Hopefully, sanity will prevail and the final judgement will, stripped of legal terminology, boil down to,

"You're client is a cnut of the highest order and he will die in jail. Now, stopping wasting the Court's precious time. Fornicate thyself away".

Some commented, here included, that his early guilty plea was an 'early release' game plan, as a copper he must have had some idea of the system. Biggest threat to him not leaving jail feet first is political, rag bag lefties want to abolish whole life, no doubt assisted by ECHR in due course.

Latest Threads